PDA

View Full Version : I need to vent

Joseph Ragsdale
03-26-2008, 10:48 PM
I've just started with this hobby, but I'm growing to enjoy it more and more. I have a rather stressful job. Today, I had my first of several classes on being a military cop. The commander wanted volunteers. As it often turns out, none of us volunteered for this duty, but rather we were volun-told. They're giving me a loaded rifle, body armor, OC spray, hand cuffs, and a few weeks to learn the nuances of law enforcement on a military installation. On top of all that, I have my real job as an aircraft maintainer. I still don't know everything there is to know about avionics and now I have to learn my job and someone else's job at the same time. On top of that I'm studying to make Staff Sergeant. On top of that I have to train new people on avionics systems and general aircraft knowledge. On top of that there's an upcoming deployment I'm getting ready for. I guess that's how it rolls... :rolleyes:

When I'm off duty it sure is nice turning on my bandsaw, Festool circular saw and guide system, jointer, planer, router, and sander and working on some wood. Seeing something go from a design to a finish piece brings a lot of satisfaction. There's no "go fever." I work as fast or slow as I want. I'm in control over every step in the process from beginning to end. It's my domain.

It's very relaxing to be in my shop and sometimes I don't want to ever leave. Time goes by so fast I can hardly ever believe it's true.

Just thought I'd vent a little. Thanks for listening :D

Jim O'Dell
03-26-2008, 10:52 PM
Vent all you want! You've earned it by what you do for all of us and this country!!! We'll be here for you. Jim.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-26-2008, 11:35 PM
Joseph, thanks for doing what you do, so we can do what we do. Glad this hobby or addiction or whatever you might call it helps ease the stress of your other life. I think a good portion of us woodwork for similar reasons.

David DeCristoforo
03-26-2008, 11:53 PM
" They're giving me a loaded rifle, body armor, OC spray, hand cuffs..."

Some guys get all the cool stuff....

"On top of that there's an upcoming deployment I'm getting ready for..."

OMG... not to Iraq? Don't go... there's no wood there....

Seriously though, I would like to echo the sentiments expressed by Jim and Steve. You guys... well whatever anyone might feel about this war... you guys rock.

YM

Joseph Ragsdale
03-27-2008, 12:25 AM
" They're giving me a loaded rifle, body armor, OC spray, hand cuffs..."

Some guys get all the cool stuff....

Speaking of cool, since I have to be a cop, I want to look cool. I'm not a very big guy. I'm 5 foot 10 and 150 lbs. It's hard to look cool when you're my size and have another, I don't know, 50 lbs of crap strapped to your body...

When I have a rifle, several loaded 30 round magazines, hand cuffs, body armor, a radio, and whatever else they think I "need," it's a fair amount of weight. I'll be running along with all this crap strapped to my body and when I go to stop, my body stops, but all that crap doesn't really want to stop with me.

So while I looked cool at one point, I don't look cool when all that crap sends me going a few more feet in whatever direction I was heading in.

I maintain some level of coolness when I can keep myself on two feet during "stop running procedures." :cool:

One must maintain one's sense of humor in this job.

John Crough
03-27-2008, 12:33 AM
Joseph,

I too would like to thank you for your service for protecting our great country, and wish you a safe deployment and rapid return. As a professional pilot I can also appreciate your service as an avionics tech as well. Keep em flying!:D

There is nothing more satisfying than coming home after being on the road for a week and catching up with my family, and then heading downstairs into the basement woodshop and starting on/ or continuing a project. It is instant stress relief and there is nothing more satisfying then saying “I made that”!

John

Dewey Torres
03-27-2008, 12:41 AM
I am a Navy Senior Chief (Same as your SMSgt) and I have been on the run, just like you, since the first day I joined... Long before you... but that is not the point. There is only one reason I stayed in (and it has always been) "to serve my country". When that feeling leaves you, that is when you will know it is time to move on to other things because as long as you stay in there will be someone counting on you to "serve your country". I, like you, use woodworking to relax in my off time. You know, there is a point when you have taken on too much (and you sound like maybe you have already). Keep the important things on the radar, and let the rest drop off. You will be happier in the end.
Dewey
CTTCS(SW), USN

Ken Fitzgerald
03-27-2008, 12:47 AM
Joseph.......First "Thanks for what you do eveyday!....be it avionics or MP!"

You are in many ways just like the rest of us! I work for a large multi-national corporation. They are constantly putting more and more responsibility on us .....adding to our jobs. Like you.....we escape the pressures of the job...by escaping to the shop.

BTW...I worked air traffic control maintenance in the Navy for 6 years....the ground side of those avionics you work on.

Raymond Fries
03-27-2008, 7:02 AM
Joseph - Thanks for being there for us!

In every job I have had, "Stuff" seems to roll downhill. I am sure it is a unique situation in the military. I was never in the service so I have never walked in your shoes. I do believe that we get the world we ask you and there is always good mixed somewhere in the with bad. Maybe an opportunity to learn, grow, or be there for someone else. Sometimes it just is not apparent when the "stuff" is rolling down the hill. We always seem to learn life backwards and then we understand why it happened.

Enjoy your free time in your shop; may it bring peace and comfort to your daily life.

Glenn Clabo
03-27-2008, 7:07 AM
Interesting Joe...I have a son over in Aviano (Avionics Tech-F16's) ...and I work for the Navy...we have a long distance vent fest every once in a while. It's nice to find someone you can vent with...who understands.

Sam Yerardi
03-27-2008, 7:18 AM
Joseph,

Even though I've never met you, and we have something in common through woodworking, it is wonderful that there are people such as yourself that will serve their country, and it is an honor to know you. I'm proud that our country produces men such as yourself, and whether or not you are 5'10" or whatever, I can tell you in our eyes you are 10 feet tall. You have my prayers, and God bless you.

Bob Aquino
03-27-2008, 7:38 AM
Venting is cool. Its a tough job made only tougher by recent events. I'm ex Navy, had a friend that was an avionics tech in the AF too. Hang in there. I suppose you already know about the "red line" and what to do about people who cross it.

Jim Becker
03-27-2008, 9:41 AM
Wow....full plate there, Joseph. But I can also see why you, as well as so many of us, love woodworking as our avocation. Even when things are going, well...with challenges...it's still a great stress reliever!

Al Sherred
03-27-2008, 10:06 AM
As an ex airman ,(aircraft maintainer) with a daughter on active duty USAF, I can relate, just keep your head up and take it one day at a time . Good luck to you and to all wearing a uniform of the U.S.

Fred Haydon
03-27-2008, 10:11 AM
Joseph,

20 years ago I was in those same shoes, 'cepting they were Army green.:)

It always seemed like there was some wet-behind-the-ears cherry that needed training, or some JAFO looking over your shoulder asking dumb#$$ questions, or some new and "interesting" job to be learned in your "spare time". I'd love to say that things get better, but you've got enough hash marks on your sleeve to know I'd just be blowin' smoke.

So to you my brother, I say "vent away" here you have freindly, non-judgemental ears that appreciate the jobs you have to do.

Keep your head down and your butt lower! - something my 1stSgt always said as we were leaving on yet another mission.

Fred