PDA

View Full Version : Hard Maple in Dallas area?

Cliff Newton
03-23-2004, 8:55 PM
I've only been to Dallas Hardwoods for hard maple. I'm wondering who has the best prices in the Dallas area and allows customers to come in and hand pick boards. Rough cut lumber preferably. Anyone know?

Greg Heppeard
03-23-2004, 9:28 PM
Check with your Woodcraft store. I know they sell small quanitities of exotic and domestic hardwoods.

Kelly C. Hanna
03-23-2004, 9:53 PM
Hardwood Lumber Company on Goodnight has it, but you can usually get better prices at one other place...Austin Hardwoods. Stay very far away from Woodcraft so you'll save money...same with Woodworld unless you wanna pay double and meet the world's biggest jerk who owns it (being nice). Austin's will let ya pick and choose all day!

Austin Hardwoods Inc
(972) 869-1770 11353 Mathis Ave
Dallas, TX

Cliff Newton
03-23-2004, 9:59 PM
Hardwood Lumber Company on Goodnight has it, but you can usually get better prices at one other place...Austin Hardwoods. Stay very far away from Woodcraft so you'll save money...same with Woodworld unless you wanna pay double and meet the world's biggest jerk who owns it (being nice). Austin's will let ya pick and choose all day!

Austin Hardwoods Inc
(972) 869-1770 11353 Mathis Ave
Dallas, TX

Thanks Kelly. I've heard of Austin Hardwoods, but I wasn't sure if they would let me pick and choose. Someone told me there are some local companies that will not let you choose. I'll give Austin a look.

Jim Becker
03-23-2004, 10:04 PM
My recommendation is to talk with Mike Mastin at Curlywoods in McKinney. While his obvious claim to fame is figured stock, he can get you anything you want or need...and it will always be premo. He's also a member here at SMC!

Don't shoot for lowest cost on lumber...look for good quality at a reasonable price for general lumber and pay good money for the special stuff that will set your projects apart. Also...when you see a board that really floats your boat, if at all possible, buy it and put it on your rack. These things are one of a kind. Whatever you invest in such "inventory" will be worth it and you can always sell it for at least what you paid for it in most cases if you really need the money back in your pocket.

Kelly C. Hanna
03-23-2004, 10:07 PM
No problem Cliff. I pick and choose there all the time. They'll even lower pallets for you if you don't like the one they have down on the floor. You can go straight into the warehouse and start pickin' then go up front to Misty for the checkout procedure. The guy in the warehouse will give you a ticket and even load it for you.

Billy Bussey
03-23-2004, 10:11 PM
I've only been to Dallas Hardwoods for hard maple. I'm wondering who has the best prices in the Dallas area and allows customers to come in and hand pick boards. Rough cut lumber preferably. Anyone know?

Cliff--Austin Hardwoods, just off 35E, I think on Royal Lane, let me pick the two times bought there. Also, their prices are best I have found and their quality if very good. I think the people are among best to deal with.

BILLY B.

Cliff Newton
03-23-2004, 10:32 PM
My recommendation is to talk with Mike Mastin at Curlywoods in McKinney. While his obvious claim to fame is figured stock, he can get you anything you want or need...and it will always be premo. He's also a member here at SMC!

Don't shoot for lowest cost on lumber...look for good quality at a reasonable price for general lumber and pay good money for the special stuff that will set your projects apart. Also...when you see a board that really floats your boat, if at all possible, buy it and put it on your rack. These things are one of a kind. Whatever you invest in such "inventory" will be worth it and you can always sell it for at least what you paid for it in most cases if you really need the money back in your pocket.

I emailed Mike earlier today. He said he sometimes keeps hard maple in stock, but I don't think he has any right now. I will be stopping by his shop soon to check out his selection of other woods. If I ever take the plunge and buy the Jet mini lathe I will be needing some nice blanks for turning pens.

Jim Becker
03-23-2004, 10:38 PM
I will be stopping by his shop soon to check out his selection of other woods.

You'll enjoy your visit at Mike's new place. I had the opportunity on my last trip to Dallas and was really knocked out by the stuff he has in stock.

Cliff Newton
03-23-2004, 10:47 PM
You'll enjoy your visit at Mike's new place. I had the opportunity on my last trip to Dallas and was really knocked out by the stuff he has in stock.

Does he have a showroom?

Jim Becker
03-23-2004, 10:52 PM
Does he have a showroom?

Yup, the whole place is a showroom!

Kelly C. Hanna
03-23-2004, 11:00 PM
I need to get out there, I've heard good things about his selections.

Steve Jenkins
03-24-2004, 7:17 AM
Austin Hardwods gets my vote too. There aren't many places you can go into the warehouse and pick. Besides the ones mentioned there is Paxton in Grand Prairie off 360 and Post and Paddock.
Austin Hardwoods is open half day on Sat also. I am there fairly often as it is just around the corner from me.It's on Mathis which is south off Royal just east of Luna. If you make it over stop in and say Hi.
Steve Jenkins
Furniture Crafters
972 247-9086

Cliff Newton
03-24-2004, 7:33 PM
Well, I swung by Austin Hardwoods today and picked up a 6/4 FAS piece of black walnut, mainly because I've never worked with walnut and have wanted to try it out. It was $4.61 a board foot. Brought it home, surfaced and jointed it. This is some beautiful wood and smooth as glass when sanded. I think I may be alergic to it though, because my throat kinda swoll shut after sanding it.

I'll get over to Curly Woods next week and check out their selection.

Jim Becker
03-24-2004, 8:54 PM
Well, I swung by Austin Hardwoods today and picked up a 6/4 FAS piece of black walnut...~snip~...I think I may be alergic to it though, because my throat kinda swoll shut after sanding it.

Cliff, many folks are very sensitive to black walnut and you may be one of them. It's important that you take precautions NOW as exposure can increase sensitivity. Be sure to wear a quality dust mask when you sand it or do anything that creates fine dust. Some people are also sensitive just from contact with their skin and additional precautions need to be taken...such as gloves and long sleeves. Members of the rosewood family, such as cocobolo can exhibit similar effects.

My locksmith used to be a carver years ago and had to give it up when he became so sensitive, that he could no longer handle just about any wood dust. He almost has tears in his eyes when he seess a woodworking shop...

Cliff Newton
03-24-2004, 8:56 PM
Cliff, many folks are very sensitive to black walnut and you may be one of them. It's important that you take precautions NOW as exposure can increase sensitivity. Be sure to wear a quality dust mask when you sand it or do anything that creates fine dust. Some people are also sensitive just from contact with their skin and additional precautions need to be taken...such as gloves and long sleeves. Members of the rosewood family, such as cocobolo can exhibit similar effects.

My locksmith used to be a carver years ago and had to give it up when he became so sensitive, that he could no longer handle just about any wood dust. He almost has tears in his eyes when he seess a woodworking shop...

Well, that would be one way for my wife to get me out of the shop :)

Duane Dennis
03-24-2004, 10:47 PM
I emailed Mike earlier today. He said he sometimes keeps hard maple in stock, but I don't think he has any right now. I will be stopping by his shop soon to check out his selection of other woods. If I ever take the plunge and buy the Jet mini lathe I will be needing some nice blanks for turning pens.

Cliff,

I was up there(CurlyWoods) today picking up some boards, and I did see some hard maple. I think much of it was figured, but I don't know if that's what you are looking for. I wasn't paying much attention to it cuz it's not what I was looking for. But, you might give them a call.

Herb Blair
03-25-2004, 7:27 AM
I have used Austin Hardwoods for several years. Most of their stuff is 10 and 12 foot lenghts, minimum one board. They have a skill saw there if you want to cut the boards shorter for transport. Their prices seem to be going up though and you might find that on some types of wood (White Oak for instance) may be cheaper at Woodcraft. Woodcraft stuff is S2S mostly. If you are buying a lot then Austin would be better.
I have also bought from Dallas Hardwoods. Good people there. Prices are higher, but the quality is as good as it gets here in Dallas.
This Saturday, I will be buying about 50 Bft of Quarter-sawn white oak for a Gun Cabinet I'm working on, and I will be there at Austin in the morning to pick out the lumber.

Herb