PDA

View Full Version : Jet: JWBS-16

Mike Montgomery
03-26-2008, 8:56 PM
Does anyone have this band saw? And if so what is your review of it? And since it is not the common 14in or 18in are blades going to have to be special ordered

Louie George
03-26-2008, 9:44 PM
Mike,

I purchased one this past Dec., because my other tools are Jets and I got it for a little more than a 14 inch bs. While I love the saw I have since discovered that while I can get blades for this saw at my local Rocklers and WC, the supply there is not that great. I ended up having to mail order a set of Timberwolf blades online (could have ordered them from WC, but it was qucker and cheaper online). In all honesty if I had it to do again I would seriously look at the Rikon deluxe 14 inch, more resaw capability and according to the people at WC the difference in build quality is neglible. But that said, it really is a great saw, that I plan on having for quite some time.

Louie George
03-26-2008, 9:47 PM
If you are looking at buying new the price for the 18 is not that great once you add the fence, since the 16 does not come with a fence, and the 18 add Carter bearings, which again makes up of the aditional cost of the 18.

Michael Boyle
03-26-2008, 9:50 PM
Mike -- I have this model band saw. I acquired it about a year and a half ago and have been very pleased with it. It has become one of the most used pieces of equipment in my shop. It has a 1 1/2 hp motor that is wired for 110, so it is not as powerful as a Laguna or MM saw, but it has plenty of power for anything I need to do. I use it for basic dimensioning as well as re-sawing. It has great guides, reasonably heavy wheels, as well as a rigid frame for a saw in this price point. I will warn you that changing the blade can be a bit of a challenge, or least it was for me the first time. Mine did not come with a fence, but I believe JET has a deal on this model at the moment which includes a fence with the purchase. (check the JET web site on this) As far as the blades: it uses a 123" blade which may not be readily available depending on where you live. here is Columbus it is not a problem since there is a Woodcraft as well as the Wood Werks store in town. I would recommend having a spare on hand, just in case.

Greg Crawford
03-26-2008, 11:43 PM
From all the reviews I've seen, and after looking at several larger BS's, the 18" Rikon seems like it can't be beat. This year they bumped it up to 2 1/2 HP. It can be found for around $1100 on sale. If you look at the features like the Carter style ball bearing guides, quick release tension lever, table size, blade tracking window, drive belt adjuster outside the housing, 2-4" dust ports, blade slot oriented so the blade removal is straight out instead of having to twist the blade, etc, it seems well worth the money and will be my next BS. It's also about 200 lbs. heavier than the 16" Jet.