PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice - A good problem to have

Richard Kagen
03-26-2008, 8:27 PM
OK I posted a couple of days ago about my strange inherited Lathe with the 3/4" unthreaded shaft and the 5/8" tail and I am accepting the advice not move onto something more standard.

SWMBO says I am crazy not to spend the $700-$1000 that I estimate it will take to do it right. Gotta love it.

I am looking at the JET 708352 JWL-1236 12-Inch Swing by 34-1/2-Inch between Centers 3/4 Horsepower Woodworking Lathe, 115-Volt 1 Phase$604 delivered from Amazon. It seems like a better deal that will meet my needs longer than the JET 1220 for $504 ($304 lathe, $130 stand, $70 bed extension), no? Or does it make more sense to just get the Jet 1220, build a stand save the cash for a real big boy ($2000) lathe. Tough decisions.

I am hearing bad thing about Delta and Grizzly (have their band saw and drill press and I am not blown away by either).

Also, I would like to buy a chuck while I am at it. I am thinking $150ish. thoughts, advice...

I was a regular Sawmill Creeker a while back when I was very active on the "other" side of my wood shop, great place.

Jim Becker
03-26-2008, 8:42 PM
The Jet 1236 is a very, very old lathe design and a very lightweight machine. It's primarily a spindle turning design, although you can turn bowls and vessels up to about 10" or so and still have clearance for the tool rest base...as long as you anchor the machine down with quite a bit of weight, etc. The 14" Jet is a much newer design if you want to stay in the lower cost range and have a full bed length. The 1220VS that is due out soon is actually not a bad option and a heavy shop-made stand (and with a bed extension if you really need to do long spindles) will do more and better work than the 1236...

If you're truly set on the 1236, you can buy the same configuration from Harbor Freight (the 340706) and usually get it on sale for under $200. But you'll likely be upgrading again in the not too distant future...

Frankly, the 1220VS (or the plain 1220) would make for an excellent starter lathe that you may even keep around when you buy the $2-3K machine someday...

As to chucks, there are a number of choices. Check out what Packard Woodworks and other turning oriented retailers offer. I personally prefer the OneWay Talon and Stronghold chucks, but they are a bit higher than your $150 budget. One of the Nova chucks from Technitool might fit the bill. A chuck with a changeable spindle insert is a good idea so that you can continue to use it if you upgrade to a larger machine later on...

Gordon Seto
03-26-2008, 8:48 PM
Take the Jet 1220 VS with extension. It will be a much better lathe than the 1236. I had the 1236. I replaced the 1236 with a Jet mini 1014VS. I considered that was an upgrade. The Reeves Drive is old technology; it is mechanical and high maintenance. It's slowest speed is 500 rpm. The 1220 has electronic variable speed starting at 270 rpm. You may not need the stand, it would be fine sitting on top of a bench.
The Harbor Freight has the Jet 1236 clone usually on sale for less than $180.

Robert McGowen
03-26-2008, 8:58 PM
Or does it make more sense to just get the Jet 1220, build a stand save the cash for a real big boy ($2000) lathe. Tough decisions.

Save all of your money by not buying the 1220 and just go get the "big boy" lathe. You will be happy and your wife will thank me for saving you all of the money, effort, and time you are going to spend before you get it any way.

(Your welcome ;))

Bernie Weishapl
03-26-2008, 9:51 PM
If I had a $1000 to spend I would get the Nova 1624-44. It has 16" inboard and 29" outboard. It has 8 speeds (215, 360, 904, 1030, 1450, 2180, 2900, 3630 RPM), 1 1/4" X 8 spindle, 1 1/2 hp motor, 24" between center and 24 position spindle lock. For the $999 I think this is a good bang for the buck. It is a belt change but I still think it is better than a reeves drive.

Jim Becker
03-26-2008, 10:17 PM
Very good point, Bernie. I always forget about the Nova 1624-44. Heck of a machine for the money.

Richard Kagen
03-26-2008, 10:30 PM
Not sure what's happening with the Jet 1220, no one seems to have them. I will call my local Rockler tomorrow and see if they have one. I will probably not wait for the VS. But, the bigger motor seems to make it worth moving up from the 10"

Gordon Seto
03-26-2008, 10:40 PM
Bernie,

I agree. This is a better choice. Woodcraft once in awhile would have a sale on this lathe for $100 off. It won't hurt to ask when they are going to have another sale. Sometimes they would just give you the sale price if it is not too far away.

Fine Woodworking Heavy Duty Lathe Test_April 07.pdf (application/pdf Object) (http://www.teknatool.com/products/Lathes/1624/Downloads/Fine%20Woodworking%20Heavy%20Duty%20Lathe%20Test_A pril%2007.pdf)
The article was fair, but the street prices were off. You would have to do some home work when comparing prices.

Richard Madison
03-26-2008, 10:45 PM
Might want to consider the $99 Grizzly chuck for a starter. Understand it's a copy of the Vicmark, and has threaded insert, so can be changed from one spindle thread to another. My first one does not center perfectly, but close enough that after several years I recently got a second one with extra jaws. I would rather have two chucks for less than the price of one of the high-dollar pieces.

Just a matter of resources and priorities.

dennis kranz
03-26-2008, 10:53 PM
Woodcraft is having a one day sale on April 12th. It includes the Jet lathe give them a call you can get the 1442 with VS for under a 1000.00.

Gordon Seto
03-26-2008, 11:14 PM
The Jet 1442 is still a Reeves drive lathe. IMO, either get the Jet 1642, which is a much better lathe, but over the budget.

Steve Kubien
03-27-2008, 12:14 AM
...the Nova 1624. I've got one and love it. Sure variable speed would be nice, but I do not consider it a necessity.

Steve Kubien
Ajax, Ontario

Ken Fitzgerald
03-27-2008, 12:57 AM
Richard.....before you dive into the Vortex a word of advice if I may. The lathe is really the cheapest part of the investment. Buy the best you can afford or like myself and so many others, you will find yourself upgrading shortly. I wouldn't buy one with less than a 12" throw......14"or 16" would be better.

Research it.....find a local turning club and join....attend a few meetings. Turners by nature are a generous lot and I'm sure some local turners would be happy to let you see and even turn on their lathe before buying.

The inmates here gave me a Jet VS Mini 2 years ago. I didn't finish my shop but turned for 18 months. Then I ordered a PM3520B. Now I'm finishing my shop. I"m close enough now to having it finished that I"m comsidering turing some more. Once I get back to turing....who knows when the trash will get emptied?

Tom Steyer
03-27-2008, 11:00 AM
Richard,

As others have said - save yourself the time and stress of buying something that you will just be unhappy with in a few months. Of all the possibilities mentioned, the Jet 1642EVS is almost certainly the best machine for the buck - there is currently a rebate, making it even better. Heavy duty cast iron construction, true EVS with reverse, 16" swing and 42" spindle capacity, 1 1/4" spindle, are just some of the good points of this machine. As Ken suggested, the price of the lathe is only a part of the investment - so a few extra dollars on a good machine that will keep you going for a long time might be a wise choice. If you just can't go for the 1642, then I would suggest that the Jet 1220VS might be the best bet. Jet customer service has a very good reputation. For either one, get yourself a Oneway Talon chuck to start.

Daniel Heine
03-27-2008, 11:15 AM
Richard,

Since your wife has given you $1,000.00 to spend, My suggestion would be the Nova 1624 lathe. It sells for $999.00 at Woodcraft, and is a top quality lathe in your price range. You can sell your wife on a chuck after you get the lathe. Remember, begging your wife to give you money for your turning is going to be a regular event once you jump head first into the abyss. This will be good practice. Just remember to make nice things for her once in a while, and she'll be glad to give you money??? I have a $100.00 chuck I bought from PSI, and I should have waited to buy a better one. Paying a little bit more now to get soemthing you can grow with will save you money in the long run. Multiple upgrades add up to a lot more money than buying top quality at the start. You can grow a long, long way with the Nova 1624. I'm planning to put one in my shop very soon( my 17 year son has been harrassing my wife for a few weeks already).

Good Luck,
Dan Heine

Kurt Whitley
03-27-2008, 11:35 AM
The Jet 1442 is still a Reeves drive lathe.

Good point. Also, the 1442 has a minimum speed of 450RPM, IIRC. That can be a bit fast for a out of balance 14" blank.
The Nova allows 215 minimum speed, which is well positioned for blanks up to 16".
Of course the EVS of the Jet gets you as slow as you would ever want to go.

Kennneth Sain
03-27-2008, 7:52 PM
I agree on the Grizzly chuck and would also recommend checking out the Grizzly lathes. I'm quite pleased with mine. Their tech support is also quite prompt and helpful.

Richard Kagen
03-27-2008, 9:03 PM
I stood there looking at the $999 Nova and the $271 (329 less 10% less $25 rebate) Jet 1220 and figured if I still turning in a year I will sell the Jet for $175-$200 and move on up or even keep the cute little bugger for my son.

I got lots of "help" at the store and now also own an 8" slow grinder, Wolverine, Wolverine Vari-Grind attachment, long 1/2" fingernail, 3/4" roughing and a caliper.

$630 ish later I can at least sharpen and turn. Still "need" a chuck.

Thanks for all of the help. No picture never happened ?