PDA

View Full Version : Gloat and a question

Brian Effinger
03-26-2008, 8:14 PM
Hi all - I pulled the trigger and bought the Steel City granite table saw yesterday. It was delivered early this morning and is currently sitting in my garage until Saturday, when I'll have a few friends over and we can move this into the basement. I plan on a pizza, wings & beer bribe. :D
Here are pictures of the four boxes I took shortly after it arrived:

85042 85043

85044 85045 85046

As you can see, it seems to be pretty well packed. Now, should I remove the saw from the steel crate and move it down the stairs, or shoud I leave it in? I'm not sure how much the steel weighs, but it doesn't look light. There are two other boxes shrink wrapped in with the saw, also - the granite extension wing is in one box, and I think the hand wheels & miter gauge are in the other. I would think removing the saw would lighten the load by 100 lbs. but I think there would be greater risk in damaging the saw. So what does everyone think? Leave it in, or take it out? :confused:

Thanks again for everyone's help. I'm so glad I found this site :)

Oh, one more thing - I think I might keep this crate and the associated boxes up in the garage attic, so that if I move, then I can pack it up and have someone else bring it up from the basement, and not worry about damage.

Joe Chritz
03-26-2008, 8:21 PM
The steel won't add enough weight to matter most likely and it will help to leave it on if you can.

1 1/4" 1/8th" wall square tube is 1.83 lbs per foot or so. I doubt that is heavy wall tube.

If you take out the extensions and all the other stuff then that would help. Make sure you can get it down without banging around on the top to much. Taking the top off is a last resort option.

Joe

glenn bradley
03-26-2008, 8:29 PM
My 22124 came packed the same way. The steel isn't light but doesn't add so much weight that I would forgo the protection. Do remove the other items from the cage. The saw body should be bolted down in all four corners. Double check that none of these (or any other cage) bolts came loose during shipping. I wish for you a basement run that is straight down with no turns. ;-)

Jim O'Dell
03-26-2008, 8:36 PM
I would think that having the cage on the saw would help, and give you a place to grab and not be "enticed" to grab the table top as a handle. Just go slow with it and make sure no one gets hurt...especially the saw. :D Jim.

Brian Effinger
03-26-2008, 8:59 PM
Taking the top off is a last resort option.
I'm with you. I definitely don't want to take it off, and then have to reinstall & re-align.

The saw body should be bolted down in all four corners. Double check that none of these (or any other cage) bolts came loose during shipping. I wish for you a basement run that is straight down with no turns. ;-)

I'll look to see if it is bolted down first thing in the morning. If it is, then I'll take the two boxes out. I'll also bring a wrench with me and check the bolts. And fortunately for me, I just have to hop it up one step into my mudroom and then 8' straight ahead are the basement stairs. There isn't even a door or jambs at the top - I haven't gotten around to framing in an opening yet, so it is a clear 36".

I would think that having the cage on the saw would help, and give you a place to grab and not be "enticed" to grab the table top as a handle. Just go slow with it and make sure no one gets hurt...especially the saw. :D Jim.
That was my thinking too. I won't be picking it up though. I plan on renting an appliance dolly ($10 at U-haul), and strapping the saw to it, then carefully sliding it down, one stair at a time.

Thanks for your responses, guys :)