PDA

View Full Version : Cyclone Filter Installation

Tom Veatch
03-26-2008, 8:00 PM
My cyclone exhausts external to my shop so I haven't worried much about filtering the exhaust. But things change so filtering is now needed. I bought a couple of cartridge filters (Wynn Environmental 9L300BL) and am planning to install them similar to the attached drawing. There are no obvious integral attachment fittings for a butt joint between the filters. Question is, if the upper plenum and lower cleanout is adequately restrained, is there any real need for anything more than a couple of wraps of aluminum tape to join and align the filters? I'd rather not get any more exotic than necessary. Any and all alternative suggestions are solicited and welcome.

Ben Grunow
03-26-2008, 8:16 PM
My Oneida filters are not rigid enough to be installed like that. The foam gaskets on the ends would leave too much flex. Maybe a plywood square with a hole cut in it that could be attached to the wall or box or wherever the filters are going to be mounted.

The oneida unit uses a threaded rod to squeeze the filter up against a metal flange for mounting. Seems liek you should try to allow for some adjustable way of compressing the filters to maintain a seal. Good luck

Ben

Jim O'Dell
03-26-2008, 8:18 PM
Tom, I will pm you a web address for the Clear Vue instructions. Page 15 shows doing the filters. If you don't have the same filters, disregard. Jim.

Jeff Miller
03-26-2008, 9:05 PM
My cyclone exhausts external to my shop so I haven't worried much about filtering the exhaust. But things change so filtering is now needed. I bought a couple of cartridge filters (Wynn Environmental 9L300BL) and am planning to install them similar to the attached drawing. There are no obvious integral attachment fittings for a butt joint between the filters. Question is, if the upper plenum and lower cleanout is adequately restrained, is there any real need for anything more than a couple of wraps of aluminum tape to join and align the filters? I'd rather not get any more exotic than necessary. Any and all alternative suggestions are solicited and welcome.

I am just wondering why you have to filter the exhaust because mine is exhausted outside. A lot of noise comes out but no dust.

Jeff:D

Tom Veatch
03-26-2008, 10:58 PM
Jeff, my woodshop is half of a 32x48 building. The other half is vacant and contains the air compressor and cyclone. The cyclone exhaust isn't ducted outside, it simply dumps to the inside of the vacant half of the building. Air makes it back to the shop side via the building's crawlspace, but leaves a fine layer of dust all over everything in the vacant space, and probably the crawlspace - especially when I do anything with MDF.

That situation is intended to be temporary since I'll be using the vacant half of the building to garage a small utility tractor and implements and some very limited metal fab work. But, first, I need to clean up the exhaust from the cyclone. Don't want to duct directly to the outside. Might be OK during the spring and fall but the utility costs for heating/cooling during the winter/summer is more than I want to endure. Spring and Fall might be OK, but they only last about 1 week each around here.;):D

Rick Gifford
03-26-2008, 11:25 PM
Tom I think what you propose will work fine. Just need to seal the gap between the filters, and the tape should do it if the filters are secured.

I mounted mine side by side overhead to save room. Added benefit is it stirs the warm air and circulates in back down to me.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc218/wvboccie/ClearVue%20DustCollector/filters1.jpg

Jeff Miller
03-27-2008, 8:02 AM
Jeff, my woodshop is half of a 32x48 building. The other half is vacant and contains the air compressor and cyclone. The cyclone exhaust isn't ducted outside, it simply dumps to the inside of the vacant half of the building. Air makes it back to the shop side via the building's crawlspace, but leaves a fine layer of dust all over everything in the vacant space, and probably the crawlspace - especially when I do anything with MDF.

That situation is intended to be temporary since I'll be using the vacant half of the building to garage a small utility tractor and implements and some very limited metal fab work. But, first, I need to clean up the exhaust from the cyclone. Don't want to duct directly to the outside. Might be OK during the spring and fall but the utility costs for heating/cooling during the winter/summer is more than I want to endure. Spring and Fall might be OK, but they only last about 1 week each around here.;):D

I understand completely now;)

Thanks

JEFF:D

Doug Shepard
03-27-2008, 8:20 AM
I think you've got the diagram reversed. I think you want the square flanges facing each other, then cut the rubber gasket off one of them. Drill holes for machine bolts through the flanges and draw the 2 flanges together tight onto the remaining rubber seal.