PDA

View Full Version : Urethane BS tires

Bob Slater
03-26-2008, 6:44 PM
Are the urethane ones better than the rubber ones?

Lance Norris
03-26-2008, 6:48 PM
Well... they sure track better and they dont fall apart after 5 years

Jeff Clow
03-26-2008, 7:49 PM
A lot depends on the saw. They didn't work on my Walker-Turner 16" saw. This saw requires a crown to be cut on the tire, and the urethane tires were not thick enough to take off enough material to get a crown. They also started coming off the wheels without glue.

Jack Vines
03-26-2008, 7:58 PM
the urethane tires worked well on my Atlas 12" band saw. Much easier to install than gluing another rubber tire, which was NLA, anyhoo.

glenn bradley
03-26-2008, 8:19 PM
As Jeff says; for what saw? For most 14" Delta clones, they're great if you need to replace your tires. If your tires are fine you will see little improvement. If you need tires and are a hobbyist, they will probably be the last ones you ever buy.

Michael Weber
03-26-2008, 8:57 PM
Are the urethane ones better than the rubber ones?
The ones that came on my used Delta 14 inch are so thin that I couldn't properly adjust the lower thrust bearing so the blade ran near the outside edge. The top of the tire is quite a bit below the outside rim of the wheels. Perhaps they were cheap ones or something so YMMV. Someday when I have the time I might try putting a second set on top of the current ones.

Ron Dunn
03-27-2008, 3:24 AM
When I last needed a tyre for my little Inca bandsaw, I bought them specially sized from Sulphur Grove, on eBay.

They're great. So much easier to fit that I couldn't see myself ever going back to rubber tyres. They guy I dealt with from Sulphur Grove was also most helpful when I was deciding whether to order.

As Michael Weber comments, they are thinner than normal tyres. I had to shorten the standard Inca blade length by around 1/2" in order to get the blade tension to which I've become accustomed.

Michael, don't put two sets, just get your blades shortened a little.