PDA

View Full Version : mobile bases, chucks?

Ron Bontz
03-26-2008, 5:42 PM
Well this little box makers head and eyeballs hurt from info over load here. Lots of questions, no time.
Could anyone tell me if the mobile bases add much to the vibration of the lathes and what a good one would be for this 1642?
What chuck would you folks recommend for bowl turning? Is there a good DVD demonstrating various chucks and their uses?
I am also wanting to do some spiral works. Aside from the Sorby 330h tool, is there a book or DVD for this?
I watched a DVD by Rich Raffan, "Turning Wood". Is there a more advanced one I could view? Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance.

Ben Gastfriend
03-26-2008, 5:57 PM
Howdy!

1) Mobile bases WILL increase vibration, and without locks, the lathe will definitley roll across the floor. Your best bet is to bolt the lathe down to the floor AND add some ballast in the form of sand bags.

2) I'm pretty sure Steve Schlumpf will tell you to go with the Talon, and he has the same lathe, but I can't say anything on this subject.

3)Some great DVD's are the Jimmy Clewes video series called 'Turn it On' and 'Turn it Up'. They're a couple good Mike Mahoney videos on bowl turning too. Check CSUSA, they always seem to have a good stock.

Good luck, and be sure to post some pictures when you get it up and running (turning).

M Toupin
03-26-2008, 9:58 PM
In a perfect world I'd not recommend a mobile base for a lathe... unfortunately many of us don't live in a perfect world. A mobile base is doable, though I'd recommend one with locking casters or pads.

I'm always amazed by the comments about lathes walking across the floor. If you have that much vibration then you need to do a better job of balancing the work, slow it down, or both. Why would someone intentionally abuse their equipment like that is beyond me.

Mike

Jim Becker
03-26-2008, 10:21 PM
The issue I've always had with a mobile base on a lathe is that most will get in the way of your feet when you are standing comfortably and in balance. I actually own one (a Vega) left over from when I had a OneWay 1018. I can jack up my Stubby with a car jack, one end at a time, and slip each half of the Vega machinery mover under the lathe in the unlikely event I need to move my beloved 800 lb Stubbalina...but I'd never leave it under the machine for both stability and for the obstruction to my stance.

tim mathis
03-26-2008, 10:27 PM
hi, i made a custom mobile base for my 3520b ( i am a welder fabricator by trade). i have a garage shop 25' x 20' full of tools and 2 trucks, everything i have is mobile but my cyclone. the lathe rolls on zambus casters rated at over 2600 #.the lathe weights about 800 #, the stand weights around 100# or over.it is made from 3/16 rectangular steel tube and 1/2 inch plate where the legs set. the lathe is bolted to the stand and can be adjusted up and down . the casters are set longer than the footprint of the lathe and wider than the footprint of the lathe.the legs set in pockets lower than the top of the wheels.the casters raise the lathe 1 1/2 inches, my mat is 3/4 inch thick so it is only 3/4 inch higher than normal.with the pads down and leveled, the lathe is very stable, no added vibration . i have swung a 18 inch peice with no problems , it acted the same as if it was on the floor. the 2 boxes with tools add about another 100#. the top box is 14 inches in front and 8 inches in back , so what the cyclone does not get ( or i forget to turn it on ) rolls off the back.
i use tekna tool nova chucks i have the supernova 2 and the titan. all jaws interchange ( except the titan power grip set) i like them , they have worked great.
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x84/powermatic3520/lathedrawer006.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x84/powermatic3520/powermatic3520b001.jpg

Ron Bontz
03-27-2008, 11:49 AM
Hi to everyone and thanks for the thoughts and comments. I had not really thought about my stance issue which is an excellent point. I looked at the pics of Tim's base and wow what a base. Not to mention that monster he has on it. I am curious how difficult it would be to fabricate a base like that except have it raise up about 4" from the floor between the legs while keeping the legs close to the floor? Similar to a kitchen cabinet for foot clearance allowing a better stance. Should I dare ask what something like that would even cost? As far as the vibration I was really thinking about the fine vibrations as opposed to the rough and tumble type. Thanks for the info on "CSUSA" I will be picking up a video or two.
I am still looking at various turning tools. I did pick up a new sorby spiral tool 330h for less than $150.00. It seemed like a good buy. I seem to be leaning toward Crown or Sorby tools but am also considering P&N as well. SHHHHHHH don't tell my boss.;) I have spent way to much time and money on line searching buying and not working on my kitchen. oopps
So far this past six months I have upgraded my 6" jointer to a dj20, acquired a new jet 22-44 plus, a new Jet 1642-2 lathe, built two matching bookcases,( yet to be posted) and a blanket chest. Not to mention accessories. I've got my fix now so I think I had best dive into that kitchen. Otherwise I may have to build a new dog house.:eek:
I am curious though. I noticed that jewel of a Delta, I think, was being used outside. I was wondering how often the kids in the neighbor hood would stop and watch. Great way to spark the interest of those who would otherwise never see or experience what seems to be a disappearing art. Thanks again.

tim mathis
03-27-2008, 4:19 PM
raising the center of the stand 4 inches would be easy so your feet don't hit it. mine jogs back from the front of the stand 7 inches, i wear steeltoed boots and the toes of my boots don't bump the stand.any welding shop could do your design. you could use 1/8 inch rec. tube which would cost less and it would be fine. i had the 3/16 rec.tube and wanted the extra weight.it would not be cheap.

Allen Neighbors
03-27-2008, 11:52 PM
Everyone else has answered your questions, so I'll just say, "ditto", to Tim Mathis' comments on the chucks. I also have two SuperNova2s and a Titan. I love 'em.
Teknatool has outsourced their chucks to China, but no one that I know stands behind their machinery any better than Teknatool. Their quality control is back up where it used to be.
My Titan Chuck has held an 8" dia log, 15" long, while I turned a goblet on the end. Their advertisement said I could do that with an 18" log, but I have a Spindle adapter that extends my spindle 3 extra inches, so I didn't want to press my luck. The Titan with jaws weighs about 8 lbs.
Here's a size-comparison shot of the Titan with an SN2.
(For those who may be inclined to ask, the blackened jaw on the SN2 is the #1 jaw, for ease in finding it to mark the tenon if I want to remove the piece before it's finished.)

Don Eddard
03-28-2008, 12:13 AM
I've got Zambus casters like Tim's under my 3520B, but I attached them directly to the legs. It raised the bed of the lathe a couple inches or so. When the pads are down, it's more stable than it was on the factory footpads, because the Zambus pads are less slippery. Cost was about the same as a high-end mobile base, but it works better IMHO.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-28-2008, 12:37 AM
One thing to keep in mind about chucks. If there is any chance you might upgrade your lathe ...keep that in mind when you buy the chuck.

I was given a Jet VS Mini and a SuperNova2 chuck. When I upgraded to a PM3520b, it was just a matter of an $18 insert and the same chuck now works on the bigger lathe....or .... install the original insert and goes back the the Jet Mini.