PDA

View Full Version : Another gramercy kit

Thom Sturgill
03-26-2008, 5:31 PM
After Jameel built one I decided to try one too. I had been thinking about buying one since I saw the kit online and like how Jameels looked so I jumped. I have nothing to compare it to, unfortunately, but it cuts better than any saw I have ever held (which is probably not saying much, but thats another story).
I downloaded the PDF and thought about doing some carving, but after I got a piece of cocabola, I quickly changed my mind. Here's some pics. BTW I'm going to Alleghany Co. NC next week with stops in Winston-Salem and Charlotte on the way back to Florida. I'll bring it along if anyone wants a short Creeker visit and wants to compare it.

In case anyone wonders why the screw are set opposite normal, I'm left-handed! The center picture is just about finished roughing the shape with the rasp. The finish is tung oil and wax.

Ron Brese
03-26-2008, 5:44 PM
Thom,

That's an awesome looking saw. Which part of Ga. will you be traveling thru. If you could manage a stop in my neck of the woods, I could give your saw a go and you could have a go with some of my planes. Could be fun!

Ron Brese

Thom Sturgill
03-26-2008, 5:52 PM
Ron, if you only knew how tempting that is. I will be flying up 95 with three grandkids in tow. The LOML has family in Charlotte and Winston (hence the stops and ability to possibly get away for a short while) From what I've seen if I got my hands on one of your planes, tool lust would surely take over!

Jameel Abraham
03-26-2008, 8:26 PM
Nice! I was too pansy to try cocobolo. Bravo. And yes, it does cut very well for me too. Should have gotten into western saws back when P. Leach came out with his. Ugh.

And that's quite an invite from Mr. Brese. I would not miss that oppurtunity.

Jim Becker
03-26-2008, 8:46 PM
Very nice job on that saw!

Ron Brese
03-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Thom,

Unfortunately I-95 is right on the coast and I am in the central section of the state. That would require a 4 1/2 hour detour. If you're ever in this part of the state the offer stands.

Ron Brese

Phillip Pattee
03-26-2008, 10:26 PM
Beautiful work. I don't think carving on the handle would enhance its beauty. What a nice piece of cocobolo and a nice saw.

Joel Moskowitz
03-26-2008, 11:21 PM
Thom,
Another really nice piece of work! And I am glad the saw works so well in use.

Joel

Thom Sturgill
03-27-2008, 7:20 AM
Thanks all. Joel, let me tell you, pounding the blade into the brass backer is v-e-r-y nervous making! I've cut some poplar and some red oak. The saw starts easily and cuts very well.

Dave Anderson NH
03-27-2008, 9:07 AM
Nicely done Thom. Having any tool custom fit to your hand is always a nice thing.

Robert Rozaieski
03-27-2008, 9:15 AM
Very nice! While I don't buy many new tools, that kit is definately on the top of my short list.