PDA

View Full Version : 1976 Powermatic 12 inch planer

bob cohen
03-26-2008, 5:11 PM
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/tls/619586829.html

What do you think this puppy is worth? It looks like a model 100 to me. The owner is asking 975 and it comes with a mobile base. I checked nebraskatool.com and found two that look similar, although more beat up. They are asking 1100/1200 for theirs, plus shipping.

I currently have a delta benchtop planer, and have been of the mind that I would eventually upgrade to a 15 inch spiral cutterhead planer, like the grizzly G1021X2, which with shipping and a plus is close to 1600.

On the other hand, this machine looks to be in good working order and is located in my town. I've never seen anything before (of quality) so close to home, so that is a real plus! Of course, it will be easy to arrange a hands on test, but I would like to know in advance what it is worth. Also, any hints about what to look for, other than running a board or two through?

Mike Spanbauer
03-26-2008, 6:35 PM
They are nice machines, but that's richer than my blood for a limited size unit. Yes, they were built well, but so were belsaw, parks, and several others.

I think you can do better or bigger (assuming you have the space). If you're limited in terms of room, this is a TANK of a 'compact' industrial planer as is the Parks.

mike

Joe Jensen
03-26-2008, 8:32 PM
I have owned a model 100 for 18 years. It's an awesome planer. It's a smaller version of the industrial Powermatic 16 - 24" planers. IMHO one of the most important things with a planer is to make sure it has a heavy chip breaker in front of the cutterhead, and a proper heave pressure bard behind the cutterhead. Without those two items, cut quality suffers greatly. I know the Bellsaw my friend had 18 years ago did not have both features, and the benchtop planers of that day did not have them. Also, Delta made a 12" 4 post planer as well as several import brand planers and they lacked those features as well. Back in 1990, I paid $2700 for my model 100 new.

I think there are several factors to consider.
1) How important is the cut quality for you? I don't have a wide belt or drum sander so minimal chipout, snipe, and ripple are very important to me.
2) Do you want to plane glued up panels throught the planer to level them? I don't do this, so width isnt a big deal to me.
3) Do you use individual boards wider than 12"? I don't as I've never truste that a wide board would stay flat. I was taught to always glue up wide panels.

I am obessive about board prep. I buy all lumber rough. Here is my flow.
1) Determine required board size.
2) Cut oversize length and width from rough stock
3) Flatten one surface on a jointer
4) Use planer to surface board to final thickness
5) Use jointer to straighten one edge
6) Use tablesaw to rip to desired width
7) Use cuttoff station to cut to final length

I do this because working with perfectly flat and straight boards is a joy. I never have issues with joints aligning, and I haven't used a belt sander in at least 10 years. Every time I try to shortcut, and make a board the final thickness, and rip several parts from it, they all move some.

Lots here on the forum try to buy and use the widest boards possible. If that's you, you want a wide planer. Lots here use a production shop approach of glueing up wide panels of rough stock, and then running it through the planer to flatten. I've never done it becaues I was taught that planing glue lines would dull knives, but since I haven't tried it and so many here do it, that may not be a concern.

Cost, My next planer will either be an old iron Powermatic model 221 20" with a Byrd head. I think a can find one that needs a rebuild for around $2K, and then another $1500 for the head. Or if the construction is right, the new Powermatic 209 20" with a Byrd head for $2400. If you can't spend that much, I hightly recommend the model 100.

I've read that the bearing holders can wear if the bearings went bad and the planer was used. You should check for this by removing the belts (easy), and seeing if the cutterhead bearings move. If yes, inspect closer to see if its the bearings that are worn (ok) of the bearing holders (bad). Not sure if Powermatic has parts any more for that.

I do have a chip breaker that I will sell, and also the original cutterhead in very new like condition.

Best wishes...joe

bob cohen
03-26-2008, 9:43 PM
Thanks for the thoughtful response. Did you put a Bryd cutterhead on yours? If so, how much did it cost and how easy or difficult was it to do? Thanks again

Joe Jensen
03-26-2008, 11:20 PM
Bob, I put a Byrd head on mine. It was pretty easy, maybe 1 hour, but I'm pretty mechanically inclined. I paid $995, but I think you can get it from Brian (On this forum) at Holbren tools for $895.

But, if you go this way, the model 100 for $900, and the cutterhead for $900, you are getting close to the cost of a new machine.

Jeff Duncan
03-27-2008, 9:54 AM
I'll throw my own opinion in the mix, nothing new in that price range will come close to the quality of those old machines.
The new 209 isn't remotely close to the older Powermatics, it's a lighter duty machine which is not much different from all the other imports in it's class. That isn't to say it's not a good machine or that it won't do everything you need it to. Just that it's not capable of the same work as it's ancestors.
I have, (and am trying to get rid of), a brand new 20" Bridgewood which is a heavier duty verison of the 209. I'm selling it b/c it couldn't meet the demands of a production environment. The bridgewood w/ spiral head and variable speed feed cost $3700, the 30+ year old SCM that replaced it cost $1k.
If you can get an older heavy duty machine in good condition for what you think is a fair price, I recommend doing so. Of course in the time it takes to come and ask here it may have already been sold:( My recommendation with used equipment is to do your homework ahead of time. Know what you want and what it's worth so when it comes around you can jump on it. You won't find anything new for $1k that will come close to the quality of those old machines. Wether or not it's worth it, well that depends on how often machines come around in your area, how much competition there is for those machines, condition of the machine, but mostly it's personal decision only you can answer.
good luck,
JeffD

Randal Stevenson
03-27-2008, 11:44 AM
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/tls/619586829.html

What do you think this puppy is worth? It looks like a model 100 to me. The owner is asking 975 and it comes with a mobile base. I checked nebraskatool.com and found two that look similar, although more beat up. They are asking 1100/1200 for theirs, plus shipping.

I currently have a delta benchtop planer, and have been of the mind that I would eventually upgrade to a 15 inch spiral cutterhead planer, like the grizzly G1021X2, which with shipping and a plus is close to 1600.

On the other hand, this machine looks to be in good working order and is located in my town. I've never seen anything before (of quality) so close to home, so that is a real plus! Of course, it will be easy to arrange a hands on test, but I would like to know in advance what it is worth. Also, any hints about what to look for, other than running a board or two through?

Bob, I put a Byrd head on mine. It was pretty easy, maybe 1 hour, but I'm pretty mechanically inclined. I paid $995, but I think you can get it from Brian (On this forum) at Holbren tools for $895.

But, if you go this way, the model 100 for $900, and the cutterhead for $900, you are getting close to the cost of a new machine.

That is just is! Your looking at a lateral move, for around what you want to pay for increased capacity. Now while your looking at spending the $$$, go check out the other sizes you were wanting.

David DeCristoforo
03-27-2008, 12:20 PM
For a grand, there is nothing that will be as good or better. The older PM and Delta/Rockwell machines were built to last. The trade off is going to be the capacity. 12" is limiting in many situations but, like I have said many times, it does not matter what the capacity is... you will always wish it was just a "bit more". If you have a 15" machine, you will be looking at those 16" wide panels... and back at that 15" machine.... If you have a 20"... well you get the point. So that is really the choice... "more" or "better"....

YM