PDA

View Full Version : Tablet shaped ark?

Wade Lippman
03-26-2008, 3:12 PM
My Temple has a 6 year old portable ark (it houses 2 Torahs). The body is veneered, and the veneer is coming off. The person who made it tried to fix it a couple years ago, and doesn't want to hear any more about it. I don't know much about veneering, but I suspect that if it is falling apart this early it wouldn't be useful to try to fix it again.

It is basically a cabinet, but it is shaped like the traditional tablets that Moses is supposed to have had the 10 commandments on; you know, straight on the sides and bottom, but round on the top. I haven't any idea how a shape like that is made. I am guessing that someone makes that shape to be veneered by their customers.

Any idea where such a thing would be available?

Pat Germain
03-26-2008, 3:20 PM
I don't think you'll find what you're describing pre-made, Wade. It sounds like the original builder of your ark didn't apply the veneer correctly.

You might want to contact a good cabinetmaker or woodworker to ask if your ark can be fixed correctly. They may be able to use plastic resin glue and re-clamp it. That would fix it for sure.

If your ark top can't be repaired, a good cabinetmaker or woodworker could make you another. In fact, I'm betting someone on SMC and in your area could do it for a nominal fee or come to some kind of arrangement.

Personally, I would feel honored to repair or build such a project. I could be like Bezalel. :)

Bill Wyko
03-26-2008, 3:35 PM
Can you post a picture?

Rob Diz
03-26-2008, 4:09 PM
My bet is that the guy who made the cabinet used titebond glue, and that the ark gets regular sunlight. Over time, the glue will soften. I read an article David Marks published on plastic resin glue, and he gave a demonstration where he put some hardened glue in one hand, and some plastic resin in the other and softened up the regular glue with body heat.

Assuming my assumptions are correct, the question then becomes one of figuring out how to fix the delaminating veneer. I think there are two ways that come to my mind. The first would be to use some plastic resin glue. The only downside to that is that it takes plastic resin glue about 24 hours to really solidify. You would also have to figure out how to deal with the squeeze out - which is hard as heck and can be sharp DAMHIKT.

Another alternative is the "duck tape to the stars" or "duck tape to heaven" - epoxy. As long as the finish on the veneer does not dissolve with the mineral spirits you would use to wipe off any excess epoxy, this may be a quick way to go - again depending on the area and the amount of veneer at tissue. Some spring clamps and some wax paper on your blocks, and you could get a quick fix in.

In either case, you will need to do your best to get clean surfaces, which may be difficult if the original maker of the piece used commerically made veneer.

You have a tough task, but these are a few options. Pictures would help.

As far as making the top - that would be made a stack of strips of veneer 3/32 of an inch thick, with plastic resin in between, placed in a mold made out of ply or mdf. If you watch WoodWorks long enough you will see David Marks use a form. I just used forms to make the apron form some half circle table aprons. If you go to the DIY website I think you can see some pictures. You will need a strong bandsaw to resaw and a drum sander (here's your excuse - call it a donation to the Temple). Seriously, how could your wife say no.

Pat Germain
03-26-2008, 4:19 PM
I read an article David Marks published on plastic resin glue, and he gave a demonstration where he put some hardened glue in one hand, and some plastic resin in the other and softened up the regular glue with body heat.

David did that same demonstration in the class I attended. I was surprised to see how soft the yellow glue became with a little heat. David also didn't recommend contact cement for veneer work.

Rob Diz
03-26-2008, 4:59 PM
David did that same demonstration in the class I attended. I was surprised to see how soft the yellow glue became with a little heat. David also didn't recommend contact cement for veneer work.

I will concur on staying away from contact cement. My father made some walnut end tables about 30 years ago using contact cement for the veneer top. It has really bubbled over time.

Wade Lippman
03-30-2008, 11:10 PM
Can you post a picture?

Took me a while to get it.
It "looks" to be bent plywood covered with veneer. Is that possible? Wouldn't the heat destroy the plywood. It is only 6 years old and was "repaired" a couple years ago. Maybe the heat DID destroy the plywood.
A furniture restorer quoted $900 to repair it again, but won't give an estimate on how long his repair will last.
Under the circumstances it doesn't seem reasonable to throw money at something that will just fail next year.

What would be involved in making something like this? It is about 12" deep. Could you piece together a polygon and bandsaw it into a circle?
Some one suggested gluing up 3/32" sheets, but they would be 12" by maybe 48". That sure wouldn't be easy.