PDA

View Full Version : Woodcraft Sale

Russ Sears
03-26-2008, 2:31 PM
I just received my Woodcraft sales flyer. They're offering 10% off Jet and Powermatic on 4/12. How often do they have this sale? LOML is fascinated with lathes (can I get an amen!) and we were thinking of getting a Jet mini-lathe.
The problem is that we were thinking of buying it later this year.

Mike Henderson
03-26-2008, 2:50 PM
From what I hear, the Jet Mini-lathe gets good reviews. But you should post this in the turners forum to get the best information and recommendations. Don't expect them to dissuade you.

Mike

Anthony Whitesell
03-26-2008, 2:55 PM
I'll have to wait until I get home to see if it's a nationwide thing, but I was thinking of getting the PM BS later this year as well when they went on sale (here's to wichful thinking). I just cashed in on their last 10% sale combined with the WMH rebate to acquire a drumsander. Don't forget to check for a WMH rebate on that Jet lathe.

Wilbur Pan
03-26-2008, 3:16 PM
From what I hear, the Jet Mini-lathe gets good reviews. But you should post this in the turners forum to get the best information and recommendations. Don't expect them to dissuade you.

Boy, that's putting it mildly. More likely what will happen is you'll ask them about the Jet mini lathe, and next thing you know, a truck is backing up to your shop with a Powermatic 3520B with your name on it. ;)

Russ Sears
03-26-2008, 3:20 PM
Mike, trust me, I've been searching the Turner's forum :) and you are correct.
The reason I posted here was because my question was about the sale rather than turning. Also, since this is the most active forum, I figured more would learn about the sale if they're not on the mailing list.

Russ Sears
03-26-2008, 3:22 PM
Boy, that's putting it mildly. More likely what will happen is you'll ask them about the Jet mini lathe, and next thing you know, a truck is backing up to your shop with a Powermatic 3520B with your name on it. ;)

Well it IS only $2300 more :D

Jim Kirkpatrick
03-26-2008, 3:34 PM
Russ, Is the sale limited to power tools? I have my eyes set on some Jet parallel clamps and 10% off makes it more enticing if I'm spending 1k or more.

john l graham
03-26-2008, 3:37 PM
I was told it would be a nation wide Jet products sale.

Chuck Saunders
03-26-2008, 3:49 PM
But the discount on the 3520b will be more than the cost of the midi. What better savings are there? 2 lathes for less than the price of 1. It is like you are being paid to slide down the slope.

Rick Gifford
03-26-2008, 5:14 PM
The 10% sales are not real often. But this time of the year, tax rebates and new models being introduced etc, you'll see these sales come our way.

I suspect the targeting of any rebates out there is a driving decision. :rolleyes:

As far as the Jet Mini lathe, I have it and I love it. Some day I'll go bigger, but this lathe has never let me down in any way. Great tool.

Andy Pratt
03-27-2008, 12:39 PM
Russ, I seem to notice a woodcraft 10% sale on the WMH tools about twice a year (maybe it's regional?) so I wouldn't worry too much. If you keep an eye out on Amazon you'll get a deal with either optional add ons or free shipping every few months or so, and you probably won't have to pay tax based on where you live.

J. Z. Guest
03-27-2008, 12:46 PM
Those sales (and better ones) are pretty frequent at Woodcraft.

Look for one that is UL Listed. (has the "UL-in-a-circle Mark" on it)

Russ Sears
03-27-2008, 6:43 PM
Thanks everyone. Looks like I don't have to dash off to the sale in a panic.
Jeremy, do you know if the Jet models are UL listed?

Keith Rooks
03-27-2008, 10:48 PM
Jet also has rebates of $25, $50, and $100 depending on what you get before April 30.

Don Bullock
03-27-2008, 11:23 PM
Jet also has rebates of $25, $50, and $100 depending on what you get before April 30.

You can get the rebates even if you buy the tools on sale. Early in the year Rockler had a Jet DC on sale. After the rebate it cost me about 45% of the retail price.;):p

The mini-lathes have a $25 rebate and the rebate on their 16x42 is $100.

http://content.jettools.com/promotions/jet_w08.pdf#Page=11 Scroll down to pages 10 & 11. BTW -- This brochure also lists Jet sale prices which are pretty goo too, i.e. Variable Speed 10x14 Indexing Mini Lathe reg. price $553, sale price $329 & after rebate $304 (Disclaimer from brochure: OFFER AVAILABLE AT PARTICIPATING DEALERS ONLY WHILE SUPPLIES LAST. WMH TOOL GROUP RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CORRECT ANY PRICING, PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS OR IMAGE DISCREPANCIES.)D

Paul Fitzgerald
04-09-2008, 12:19 PM
So has anyone confirmed whether this is a nationwide sale on Jet/Powermatic or just a Woodcraft sale?

I've been looking at the Jet Mini Lathe and have been told there's a price increase coming on May 1st. Also, I just received an email from Amazon with a $50 credit for being and early adopter and buying an HD-DVD Player last year.

So with 10% off, a $25 rebate, a $50 credit, no tax, and free 2-day shipping I could get the Jet Mini Lathe from Amazon for $150. I don't think I'll be able to turn that down.

Paul

David Eppler
04-09-2008, 1:15 PM
I also have heard of price increases coming in May and July. Been told it could be as much as 30% increase in the retail prices for large tools. I really want a 1642 but wanted to buy it later in the year. If this machine goes up almost $400 it will just be out of my range.

Has anyone else heard of price increases for large woodworking machinery

Bob Hallowell
04-09-2008, 1:43 PM

We turners don't know what you are talking about just cause our wallets are always emtpy doesn'r mean anything.

BTW> It's a great lathe and yes you will want bigger.
Bob

Stephen Edwards
04-09-2008, 1:46 PM
I haven't heard about price increases but seems logical with the plunge of the dollar and the increased cost of energy and steel on world markets.

As for the Woodcraft sale, I called the nearest one to me and they told me that I could come in and get the 10% off price any day before the 12th as well, and get the rebate from Jet.

Russ Sears
04-09-2008, 1:48 PM
So with 10% off, a $25 rebate, a $50 credit, no tax, and free 2-day shipping I could get the Jet Mini Lathe from Amazon for $150. I don't think I'll be able to turn that down.

Paul

Paul, I ended up picking up the Jet mini-lathe and am having a ball with it (nothing worthy of any pictures yet). My one daughter would spend all day on it if I let her. If you're so inclined, I wouldn't pass up that deal; that would be quite a gloat! I grabbed the tool set from Harbor Freight to get started. The tools seem to work fine once they are properly sharpened.

Paul Johnstone
04-09-2008, 1:57 PM
I would strongly recommend going straight to a full sized lathe if you are interested in turning and have done the woodworking hobby enough to enjoy it. You will like it.

A modest full sized lathe isn't that much more expensive.

People often will tell you to start with a mini and then upgrade if you like it.
IMO. that's like telling someone to start with a benchtop tablesaw when they have the money to buy a full sized one.. Although that isn't a perfect analogy, do you see my point?

A full sized one is just much less limiting, plus you won't have to take a loss when you sell the mini lathe to upgrade. Not to mention you can more easily justify buying chucks, etc for your "final" lathe..

Paul Fitzgerald
04-09-2008, 1:58 PM
I haven't heard about price increases but seems logical with the plunge of the dollar and the increased cost of energy and steel on world markets.

Here's an example: http://www.woodcraft.com/stores/store.aspx?id=558

As for the Woodcraft sale, I called the nearest one to me and they told me that I could come in and get the 10% off price any day before the 12th as well, and get the rebate from Jet.

Too bad I don't have a Woodcraft nearby. The nearest is 175 miles away in Nashville. :(

Paul, I ended up picking up the Jet mini-lathe and am having a ball with it (nothing worthy of any pictures yet). My one daughter would spend all day on it if I let her. If you're so inclined, I wouldn't pass up that deal; that would be quite a gloat! I grabbed the tool set from Harbor Freight to get started. The tools seem to work fine once they are properly sharpened.

Yeah, I hope it works out. Of course, I would have to pick up a set of lathe tools and a slow speed grinder. But still... :D

Paul