PDA

View Full Version : couple of questions

curtis rosche
03-26-2008, 2:04 PM
couple of questions

what would the grain from these trees look like?

curtis rosche
03-26-2008, 2:19 PM
the pics how could i forget

Glenn Hodges
03-26-2008, 4:39 PM
I can't tell anything by the size of the tree, you gave no dimensions. I would forget the one on the far right. I would not waste my time with it.

Curt Fuller
03-26-2008, 8:11 PM
That's the best part of woodturning, cutting into it and finding out.

Judy Kingery
03-26-2008, 8:14 PM
I'm with Curt, give it a try and see what's inside . . . Jude

Dennis Peacock
03-26-2008, 10:29 PM
The good thing about being a turner??? You can chuck up about anything and turn it for fun, beauty, skill building, or to uncover the surprise that's often times hidden inside the wood. ;)

Dick Strauss
03-26-2008, 11:25 PM
In the words of Forest Gump "Life is like a box of chocolates...you never know what you're gonna get."

Scott Lux
03-27-2008, 10:00 AM
And don't forget even your worst mistake can be made into a beautiful fire.

curtis rosche
03-27-2008, 10:55 AM
the cherry tree is about 8in thick the second pictue of it is actualy the tree behind it/was attatched to it the log is covered in these big bumps that look like it might be burl but theres noo visible eyes or any thing on the out side..

as for the maple has any one every tried trees like this that are covered with the little growths?

Cyril Griesbach
03-27-2008, 5:42 PM
Curtis,
Those "bumps" on that tree are, in all probability, not burls. They could be gauls which, given enough time, would produce burl figure. Most likely is that they are more like a "wart". :eek:

As for the bottom photo, this looks like a long ago lightening strike and now the tree is mostly rotten inside. And, while I've seen some real beauty ocasionally come from such %$#@*, it's more likely not even good fire wood. The other two I can't even guess on but an 8" cherry probably should be left to grow.

curtis rosche
03-27-2008, 7:37 PM
the cherry is dead that one in the pic is the one that split off from the base from it that one has no rotting