PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with a Wagner Pinless Moisture Meter?

Greg Crawford
03-26-2008, 1:06 PM
I'm wanting a moisture meter, and don't want to use pins for various reasons. Does anyone have a Wagner pinless that can attest to it's quality?

Thanks

Jason Beam
03-26-2008, 1:52 PM
I do - i'd have to look which one i have, but it's very well made. I think they all require a special "conversion" code for getting a decent measurement. Each species of wood has a differn't specific gravity and that can affect the moisture reading. The one I have comes with a book of a whole bunch of species (hundreds, if i remember right) and it's fairly straightforward to enter the code into the device.

Just did a quick check, here's the one i have:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000063XI9/

it has 10 "favorites" so you can store the specfic gravity of ten species in there to save you from having to carry the book around.

I really like it. It was a little spendy, but worthwhile in my opinion :)

Jim Becker
03-26-2008, 2:00 PM
Yes, I have one...older model...but it's performed well. "Best" on at least skip-planed material, but ok for rough measurements on rough stock. Pin-type is best for rough. There are some combo units out there that do both pin and pinless...

Brad Schmid
03-26-2008, 2:07 PM
I've had the Wagner MMC 220 for I guess 4-5yrs? Works good, I like the SG correction and extended range, no complaints.

Rick Levine
03-26-2008, 3:20 PM
I also have a Wagner meter but it is a different model. Mine does not show 10ths and I'm not sure how necessary it is to be that precise. Here is the one I have (it's also less expensive):

Jerry White
03-26-2008, 5:03 PM
Hey, Greg!

I have the Wagner L606. It is an older, analog type and appears to be reasonably accurate. I think some of the newer digital moisture meters have programmable settings for the different species of wood.

You are welcome to come over and try mine if you like.

Jerry

Greg Crawford
03-26-2008, 9:25 PM
Thanks for all the answers. I talked to a guy today that has the LED model 609, and says it works great as well. Thanks for the offer Jerry. I may take you up on it if they ever finish that freeway.

Roger Bell
03-26-2008, 9:52 PM
Greg..........I have had the L606 for over ten years. Analog electronic.

I have built two houses in that period and have used it to check hardwood flooring prior to approving installation. That alone made it worth the $200 cost. I use it a lot and it seems more than accurate enough.

Like Jim said, it is great for planed wood and not so great for rough cut. It has a 2x2 pad that really needs good full surface contact with the wood to work well. I take a block plane with me to the lumberyard and the MM when moisture content matters.

There is a booklet that comes with it so that you can apply a multiplier factor to different species. Typically I just want to know when a wood is "too wet" or "dry enough" and a couple of percentages points doesn't matter much to me.

Cary Swoveland
03-27-2008, 12:07 AM
I also have a Wagner meter but it is a different model. Mine does not show 10ths and I'm not sure how necessary it is to be that precise. Here is the one I have (it's also less expensive):

Rick,

I think that's the MMC205, which Amazon sells for $170. As I understand it, if differs from the MMC220 ($290 on Amazon) mainly as follows:

- one button rather than two for on/off and species selection;
- results to the closest percent (versus tenth of a percent);
- lack of the "press and hold" feature for checking areas you can't see;
- moisture readings between 5% and 20% (versus 5%-30%); and
- ability to enter specific gravities between 0.3 and 0.7, covering most domestic woods (versus 0.2-1.0).

I am only concerned with the last difference. I would like to know if there is a way to use your MM with species having specific gravities greater than 0.7. For example, to test a species with a SG of 0.8, could you multiply (or is it divide?) the indicated result by 0.8/0.7, or use a table or graph to make the correction?

Cary

John Thompson
03-27-2008, 2:01 AM
I have an older Wagner I use for shop stock an a pin type Timber-check I take to my supplier or when buying rough from other sources.. Both have a function and both work rather well IMO.

Sarge..

Cary Swoveland
03-27-2008, 2:04 PM
Rick,

I think that's the MMC205, which Amazon sells for $170. As I understand it, if differs from the MMC220 ($290 on Amazon) mainly as follows:...

- ability to enter specific gravities between 0.3 and 0.7, covering most domestic woods (versus 0.2-1.0).

I am only concerned with the last difference. I would like to know if there is a way to use your MM with species having specific gravities greater than 0.7....

Cary

For anyone interested, a Wagner rep provided the following advice:

"You could use a manual correction that would get you close. For woods with SG’s greater than .70, I suggest that you set the meter on .70 and then apply a minus correction of approximately .7% (7/10%) MC for every .05 change in the SG. This is a conservative correction that should get you pretty close."

I think that makes the MMC205 pretty attractive (among pinless MMs) for the hobbiest.

Cary