PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to stor a large piece of wood?

Bill Wyko
03-26-2008, 1:01 PM
I'll be receiving my piece of Bubinga soon. It's 41" wide 2" thick and 12 feet long. I want to store it on edge but I'm concerned about cupping. Is this going to be an issue. I don't have room to store it flat in an area that's climate controlled. Any advice is appreciated

Michael McCoy
03-26-2008, 1:04 PM
I store all my wood vertically. Or rather almost vertically. I use plywood bases with a 6 or 7 degree angle downward toward the wall and have 2X4's supporting the lumber vertically (also at the same angle) and never had a problem. You could do the same thing on a smaller scale.

David DeCristoforo
03-26-2008, 1:15 PM
Stick four legs on it and use it as a workbench until you are ready to make something out of it.....

YM

Jim Becker
03-26-2008, 2:11 PM
You can store it on edge with no real problem. If need be, make some supports that match the angle you want to lean it to insure you don't have any "cupping" issues if this is going to be for long term.

Prashun Patel
03-26-2008, 2:33 PM
Can you seal the edges with wax or primer?
Store it in a place that doesn't get humidity fluctuations.
Keep the bottom edge elevated off the floor with 2x4 'stickers'; promote air circulation around all sides.
Flip the board e-over-e every week.

Russ Sears
03-26-2008, 3:25 PM
Bill, you could store it at my place....

Josiah Bartlett
03-26-2008, 3:25 PM
I store my long lumber that I want to keep flat either stickered up off the floor under the middle of my truck in my garage, or across the trusses in the attic of the shop. I have a trap door in the siding on the outside of the shop to get long pieces in and out.

I've also been guilty of storing pieces under the couch in the living room or under a bed to get them acclaimated to the house.

Bill Wyko
03-26-2008, 3:33 PM
I think this thing weighs around 300 lbs so flipping won't happen often:o I'll build some backers and lean it against them. My roof won't allow me to stand it on end. If they ever get all the other wood off of it I'll take a picture.

Rob Diz
03-26-2008, 5:01 PM
Bill, you could store it at my place....
Actually, I think I'm closer.

Peter Quadarella
03-26-2008, 5:04 PM
Stealth gloat alert! :)

Bill Wyko
03-26-2008, 5:52 PM
Stealth gloat alert! :) You betcha.:D

jim gossage
03-26-2008, 8:31 PM
place 2x2 supports against the wall to allow air circulation, sink some screw eyes on either end of the board's span, and then run a tight bungie across the board from eye to eye so that it is not leaning against the wall, but held snug and completely vertical.

Bill Wyko
03-26-2008, 8:43 PM
Good Idea. That's what I'll do. I probably will have this piece sitting around for years but I couldn't pass it up. I'm considering building myself a new office desk. The one I use now is an antique from the early 1900s and is in perfect condition. I'd rather have one I built though.

Bruce Page
03-26-2008, 9:08 PM
Actually, I think I'm closer.
I'm waaaaaay closer.

Dave MacArthur
03-26-2008, 11:36 PM
I win. I just chopped a hole in my garage ceiling, and ran a plumb-bob dead vertical, 14' drop. I'm driving to Tucson now to pick up the bubinga I'll be 'storing' in my house...

Joe Chritz
03-27-2008, 2:16 AM
You already have the ideas on how to store it so let me say that is one massive chunk of wood.

Can't wait to see what it is going to become.

Joe