PDA

View Full Version : Woodmaster - finalizing my decision

James Hendrix
03-26-2008, 9:51 AM
After doing a lot reading and researching on the posts, I am just about ready to purchase a Woodmaster. I have a good source for buying kiln dry unsurfaced lumber. Just want to make sure this purchase is going to be the solution I am looking for.

Besides planing the rough lumber, I need a solution to create a straight edge on the lumber. I was thinking I could use the gang rip feature (just using one of the blades to get the edge straight). Will this machine produce the straight edge without any issues.

I use to own the 2-speed Delta 13" planer. And although it would plane the rough boards, it was a very, very slow process. However, it left an excellent finish.

Dave MacArthur
03-26-2008, 12:50 PM
Hi, please check the Phoenix Craig's List-- there is a guy selling "Wood business", turns out to be just a Woodmaster and two domain-names on the web. http://phoenix.craigslist.org/tls/618152621.html
$2900
Not affiliated, I just remember thinking of you buying one of these when I read his ad; it may help you sort out reasonable prices etc., or talk to a guy that went into biz and didn't succeed at it.
Good luck!

Dick Strauss
03-26-2008, 1:11 PM
James,
I purchased some curly hard maple that couldn't be planed without tearout on a Delta 15" planer using fresh blades. Instead, I used a friend's Woodmaster to plane down several hundred bf of curly maple. I was very impressed with its capabilities. The variable speed worked like a charm and it never ran out of power.

My neighbor used his Woodmaster to make baseboard, chair, and crown molding for two houses. I don't know if my neighbor used the rip feature or not.

There is no reason I can think of that the ripping feature would have any issues. The machines have more than enough power to get through a 4/4 board and mill a profile at the same time.

Good luck,
Dick

bob cohen
03-26-2008, 1:15 PM
This 26 inch woodmaster has been on and off cls for several months. He's dropped the price to 987 and is including a small bandsaw along with it.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/tls/618161352.html

James Hendrix
03-26-2008, 1:38 PM
This 26 inch woodmaster has been on and off cls for several months. He's dropped the price to 987 and is including a small bandsaw along with it.

I looked at that listing (I look at CL several times during the day) and thought I'd found a bargain - until I realized the Woodmaster is just the sander and not the 4-n-1 machine.

Dave - thanks for the link. Helps to see what the used machines are bringing.

Dick - I have not found any reason that the Woodmaster would not be able to produce a straight line edge on the boards, but just want to make sure.

Joe Vee
03-26-2008, 1:52 PM
James,

I have owned a Woodmaster model 712 for several months. This thing is built like a tank. It does an excellent job as a planer, drum sander, it is molding making animal. I haven't used the gang saw yet, but, because the machines tolerances are very tight I can assure you, once the blades are set up you should have no problems. They have excellent customer service. When I purchased, they had no payments until July 2008. My brother-in-law has a woodmaster that he bought in the 1980 that he still uses almost daily. He make custom cabinets. The machines are made in the USA. Hope this helps

Joe

James Hendrix
03-26-2008, 2:07 PM
James,

I have owned a Woodmaster model 712 for several months. This thing is built like a tank. It does an excellent job as a planer, drum sander, it is molding making animal. I haven't used the gang saw yet, but, because the machines tolerances are very tight I can assure you, once the blades are set up you should have no problems. They have excellent customer service. When I purchased, they had no payments until July 2008. My brother-in-law has a woodmaster that he bought in the 1980 that he still uses almost daily. He make custom cabinets. The machines are made in the USA. Hope this helps

Joe

Joe - thanks for your input. The machines are made in Kansas City - right where I'm at. I have heard very positive feedback in regards to their customer service. Now I need to decide if I should buy used or new.

Right now, they are having a refurb sale with decent pricing. Of course, they are always having some kind of sale. I have been on their mailing list for about 4 years and they are very persistent with their marketing.