PDA

View Full Version : New table saw - Router won't fit

Jeff Atnip
03-26-2008, 8:00 AM
I just bought a new table saw. It is the Sears Craftsman 21829 with the router table addition. I picked up my Dad's old router, but alas, the bottom plate does not fit the holes. The router is a Porter Cable 1001 model. The router table has all kinds of holes in it, but none of them match up. I don't think I can drill new holes in the table because each of the pre-drilled holes has its own "tunnel" or channel protrusion coming down underneath which adds to the effective thickness of the table. Any ideas, other than buying a Sears router?

scott spencer
03-26-2008, 8:18 AM
Make a new base plate for the router out of plastic or hardboard. Use the existing base plate as a template for the holes to attach the router body, and the router table holes as a template for mounting holes in the new base plate.

Jeff Atnip
03-26-2008, 12:34 PM
Thanks. Now why didn't I think of that?

Michael Boyle
03-26-2008, 8:39 PM
If it is the standard Sears router wing for their table saws, it actually is built to put a plate on it that you can then use for your router. Sears sells a plate that screws underneath the extension wing right under where a Craftsman brand router would mount. If you look under the wing, you should see a square section in the Aluminum with holes for screws in each corner. The plate is the same size as the square and mounts right into it. What you will have to do is match the screw pattern to the new plate and drill holes in it to mount your router. It takes some measuring, but should work fine. I have a similar setup on my older Craftsman TS and had to do that modification for a Porter Cable Router I was mounting to it. If you check the Craftsman WEB site under table saw accessories, they should have what you need. According to my instruction manual for my extension wing, it is Craftsman part 9-25333.

Jeff Atnip
03-27-2008, 8:03 AM
I see that Sears part and that would work, but last night I made one out of quarter inch plywood. It works well, but if I ever want to change router bits, I am going to have to unscrew 4 bolts and then 3 screws. But I am happy to have a working router table now.