PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading G0454 to G0454Z

Josh Rudolph
03-26-2008, 7:53 AM
I am looking to purchase the G0454 20" planer from Grizzly. Their base price is $1295 with the G0454Z being $2095. The G0454Z has the spiral cutterhead installed.

The total upgrade difference is $800...you can buy the spiral cutterhead from Grizzly right now for $675 (typically $695 - you can get the Byrd Shelix for $850). So it seems I can do the upgrade myself and save some money? :confused:

Am I missing something? I know I have seen talk about removing and repressing bearings that are associated with these upgrades. But what else is there?

I don't believe it would be any of their "alignment" as I would likely adjust myself upon receipt of the tool.

Thanks again,
Josh

Ben Cadotte
03-26-2008, 8:56 AM
I would give them a call. See if they will adjust the pricing on the Z machine.

Jim Becker
03-26-2008, 9:17 AM
Is the cutter head the only difference between the Z and the non-Z version? Grizzly's Z versions typically have more than one differentiator. You may want to call them to verify exactly what those differences are as you make your decision. Yes, you can install a new cutter head yourself, but if you don't have to do that...you have more time for using the machine! ;)

Dave Bureau
03-26-2008, 10:19 AM
I just ordered a 454 yesterday. To honest with you I would wait until you see how the planer works with the straight blades before buying the spiral cutterhead. I have never in 35 years had a problem with straight blade planers. You can always upgrade later.
Dave

Josh Rudolph
03-26-2008, 3:39 PM
Well after speaking with Grizzly...According to them the difference in the 0454 and the 0454Z is indeed the cutterhead.

The cutterhead in the 0454Z is a propietary head specific to Grizzly. (If you are willing to do it yourself...the 20" Byrd head is only $50 more than buying the 0454Z option)

Does not make sense to me...:confused:

I ordered the 0454 today...if and when I feel I need the spiral cutterhead I will order one then. Figured I would give the straight blades a go first.

Thought I'd let you all know.

William Addison
03-26-2008, 5:07 PM
Installing the Byrd head on the 20" planer isn't very hard. You will need a bearing puller and a bearing separator but neither costs much and both are useful. On the non drive side I used a socket to replace the bearing. On the drive side I put a large washer under the bolt and used that to draw the bearing down into place as I tightened the bolt. When the bearing was seated, I removed the bolt and oversized washer and put the correct washer and the bolt back on. One other odd thing, one of the allen bolts inside the gear case needed to be removed but I was seriously flexing the wrench with no movement so I tried a Bosh 12V impact driver and it backed the bolt out with no problem. Very few adjustments were required to the planer.