PDA

View Full Version : CB Rogers & Co 15" Jointer

Rick Gifford
03-26-2008, 7:16 AM
I am trying to find information about this company. So far I have found that around 1893 ten companies merged into the American Woodworker Co.

There is a local ad for a 15" Jointer made by CB Rogers and Co. It is 64" X 20" bed, 3HP, 230V and 17A.

Asking $225.

Does anyone have any input on this? Old iron, good price if it is any shape at all I would think. I might give the fellow a call if I can find something out about the tool first.

Thanks for you help,

Rick

Rob Will
03-26-2008, 7:22 AM
Rick,
I have an old American jointer. I was able to download information about it at the OWWM site.
Rob

Jeff Duncan
03-26-2008, 10:11 AM
No help with company info, but I'll give my input! I love Arn, but what it really comes down to is personal needs/abilities. If I can plug it in and go, great. But if it's something that will need a complete overhaul I know I'll never get it done.
I think the price is fair if it has any potential to be a working machine. The question is are you up to the task of restoring? For that price and age I'm assuming it will need some work. Other things to think about are what kind of cutterhead does it have, very generally speaking you'll want to steer clear of square cutterheads, and clamshell heads are iffy. How are the bearings? In a machine this age they're likely babbitt bearings which may or may not need to be replaced. Again, if you have the ability it's something that you could do yourself. How are the tables? Are they flat, will they need to be ground? Any cracks in the castings, knobs missing, things that just don't look right?
These are a few of the things you'll have to consider, the guys at OWWM will be able to give you a lot of help if you do pick it up. And of course we'll need to see some pics if/when you get it.
good luck,
JeffD