PDA

View Full Version : Batch of Bedrocks too

Jim Koepke
03-26-2008, 12:40 AM
Just saw this one for type 4 Bedrocks all with corrugated soles. 603 through 608 includes the 1/2s. No 602 in the set and the 605-1/4s were not made at that time.

Eight planes, just short of $700 and the reserve is not yet met.

I like the flat sole myself, so someone else will have to step up and do the bidding for this one.

If you want to see it, here is the number 250229399323.

jim

James Mittlefehldt
03-26-2008, 9:32 AM
Was knocked over by that, I suspect he will get his reserve price before it is done if the early bidding is any indication.

Saw another stunning set of planes this morning on that site we shall not name. 290217027123, that one is a set of 12 matched pairs of Ohio Tool hollows and rounds, love to know where those guys find this stuff.

Jim Koepke
03-26-2008, 11:07 AM
I wonder how the sellers come to the conclusion that these have no sign of use.

It does not seem likely a craftsman would buy a set of these, put their mark on them and not even give it a few sweeps across a piece of wood.

Didn't guys have wives back then to keep them from spending money on things they didn't really need?

jim

Mike Henderson
03-26-2008, 11:40 AM
What often happens with "unusual" items like this is that some "fake" bidders get involved and bid the item up to an unbelievable level. I don't know why that happens but I've noticed that it often does.

It'll be interesting to watch this one.

Mike

Ken Werner
03-26-2008, 11:44 AM
Mike, no disrespect intended, but how do you know the bidders are fake?

Ken

Mike Henderson
03-26-2008, 11:49 AM
Mike, no disrespect intended, but how do you know the bidders are fake?

Ken
The listing gets pulled and never completes. And the price is way beyond what is rational. There was a set of Swan chisels that was bid up to an unusual level just a few days ago but was pulled prior to closing. But you're right, I don't know for certain that the bidders are fake.

Also, once in a while an unusual eBay listing will make it into the media. Often, the news report says that the listing had to be pulled because of fake bidding.

Mike
[Just an added comment. Once you get fake bids, the lister cannot really even do a "second chance offer" because the second bid wouldn't be what it is if there wasn't fake bidding. So there's really no other alternative than to pull the listing.]

Louis Rucci
03-26-2008, 11:56 AM
And here I've been looking for a complete set for 4 years. Too Bad I can't afford it like I used to.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-26-2008, 2:30 PM
The listing gets pulled and never completes. And the price is way beyond what is rational. There was a full set of Swan chisels that was bid up to an unusual level just a few days ago but was pulled prior to closing. But you're right, I don't know for certain that the bidders are fake.

Also, once in a while an unusual eBay listing will make it into the media. Often, the news report says that the listing had to be pulled because of fake bidding.

Mike
[Just an added comment. Once you get fake bids, the lister cannot really even do a "second chance offer" because the second bid wouldn't be what it is if there wasn't fake bidding. So there's really no other alternative than to pull the listing.]

Mike, I watched a nice Miller's patent plane do that the other day.

Wilbur Pan
03-26-2008, 4:49 PM
This is not my day. I did my taxes last night, and found that I'm going to get a refund, saw the first post about the Bedrock collection, and was able to move on. Then I saw the reply about the hollows and rounds.

Well, maybe my kids should just work their way through college. ;)