PDA

View Full Version : DC Finally Finished (Almost)

Jerry Booher
03-26-2008, 12:02 AM
I am really slow, but I am making progress. I bought an Oneida 2.5hp Super Gorilla and used 24ga spiral pipe for my future shop (and current table saw). After joining all the pipes with duct tape, I could hear air leaks in the wyes and adjustable elbows so I painted the duct tape and every joint with heavy latex roof paint. Looks wierd, but it works.

Now I need to decide what tools to buy. All I have is a table saw, router with lift, drill press and DeWalt CMS plus lots of hand power tools. I want a band saw, but I do not know if I need a jointer and planer.

Current plans are to build shop cabinets and then build house projects for my wife.

Jerry

Don Bullock
03-26-2008, 12:58 AM
You have a great start to your shop Gerry. I worked for many years without a jointer or planer. Today I couldn't do my woodworking without them. They allow for great flexibility in wood choice and design. I guess, can't truly remember, that in the past all my projects were made with wood that was at least S3S and I had to use the thicknesses that could find it in. Now, I can surface my own wood and make it any thickness that I want. This flexibility has made a tremendous difference in my designs and final products. I highly recommend that you try them.

Jim Becker
03-26-2008, 8:56 AM
Nice job. Just as an aside, you can get HVAC caulk from any HVAC supplier that will seal the elbows and laterals in the same way as your roof paint, but without the color shift if you prefer...

Jerry Booher
03-26-2008, 1:19 PM
Jim, you are right. A gray color would be preferable. Now, it looks like a broken leg with a cast on it. :o

Jerry

Larry Fox
03-26-2008, 2:45 PM
Looks very good Jerry - i kinda like the different look. You will be happy with it when done. Question for you if you don't mind. What are those boxes in the upper portion of the middle picture (essentially framing the air-cleaner)? Unless it is just a perspective issue, they look to be in-line with the DC pipe. Are they cleanouts possibly?

Jerry Booher
03-26-2008, 3:55 PM
Larry, are you asking about the 2x4s that I used to span the roof joists to hang the air cleaner from? Or, are you asking about the green box and the purple box on top of the cabinets? The green one is a cooler and the purple one is a storage tub.

Jerry

Larry Fox
03-26-2008, 4:55 PM
Larry, are you asking about the 2x4s that I used to span the roof joists to hang the air cleaner from? Or, are you asking about the green box and the purple box on top of the cabinets? The green one is a cooler and the purple one is a storage tub.

Jerry

:D - I was talking about the green and purple ones. When looking at the pics I could not tell if the DC piping ran into and out of the boxes or if it was a perspective issue. I thought that maybe you had put some cleanouts in there or something. Funny!