PDA

View Full Version : Platter Try: #2 & #3 W/PIC

Chris DiCiaccio
03-25-2008, 11:05 PM
Well, The first one is Red Cedar (6 3/4 x 1) and the second Cherry (9 x 1). I still need a lot of practice. Also need to learn to sand better.

tim mathis
03-25-2008, 11:09 PM
they both look great, i really like the cherry

dennis kranz
03-25-2008, 11:31 PM
That cherry platter looks real good to me. I say good job on both.
Dennis

Steve Schlumpf
03-26-2008, 8:48 AM
Chris - both of your platters look pretty good to me! You did a good job on the cedar! I find it does tend to tear out real easy if you get to aggressive with your cuts. Cherry has to be my favorite wood to work with as it cuts beautifully, holds detail and smells great all at the same time!

Nice form and finish on both! Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!

David Newson
03-26-2008, 9:24 AM
They both look great to me and good shape, I think every turner is eager to get onto the next piece and unfortunately rushes the sanding and tends to spoil his or her work, I've been told many times you should spend as long on finish of the piece as it took to turn.

David

__________________________________________________ ____

Nothing ventured nothing gained !

Chris DiCiaccio
03-26-2008, 10:00 AM
They both look great to me and good shape, I think every turner is eager to get onto the next piece and unfortunately rushes the sanding and tends to spoil his or her work, I've been told many times you should spend as long on finish of the piece as it took to turn.

David

__________________________________________________ ____

Nothing ventured nothing gained !

I think you nailed my situation. I look for any quick short-cut when it comes to sanding and just haven't put much quality time into it. I think I'll put more focus on the sanding and finishing in the future. Thanks

Bernie Weishapl
03-26-2008, 10:06 AM
Great looking pieces Chris. Well done. I agree with David. I have the same problem. I just have to force myself to slow down and take my time to make sure things are right when sanding.

William Bachtel
03-26-2008, 3:35 PM
Someone on here said " remember use sandpaper like it is free" I agree.

Ben Gastfriend
03-26-2008, 6:04 PM
They're both awsome! Can't see any visible problems. Great job.

John Bartley
03-27-2008, 7:36 AM
Those are both very nice forms, but I have to give the Cherry platter an extra "thumbs up". I don't see any blemishes on them, so I'm guessing that you suffer from the same affliction that the rest of us suffer from - that is the disease where our errors are magnified exponentially to our own eyes and especially when no one else can see them:)

cheers eh?

Jim Becker
03-27-2008, 9:18 AM
Both are quite nice. I happen to like the striping that the cedar afforded on that first one in this group...it's quite interesting. You did an excellent job with the cherry platter, too, getting the growth rings centered which is a little thing, but greatly enhances the feel of balance on any turning. Great work!

Dennis Puskar
03-27-2008, 10:52 PM
They both look good to me. Keep turning.

Dennis