PDA

View Full Version : Plexi Finish

Jon Lanier
03-25-2008, 10:45 PM
My plexi-glass mixture was finally ready and I wanted to try it out. I had a hard time taking a picture of this so that it looked as good as it does. I'm out of pen kits but I've got some barrels. This is for an Atlas pen. The wood is Cocobolo.

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/9084/plexifinish2dh4.jpg

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/3355/plexifinish1fd7.jpg

Claude Arragon
03-26-2008, 9:57 AM
Hi John
You are confusing me.
Are these two magnificent barrels made out of Plexiglas?
If yes, it is stunning. I would have bet my shirt it was wood.

Bernie Weishapl
03-26-2008, 10:07 AM
Jon they turned out really well. I really like the finish and it sure does put a shine on.

Bob Hallowell
03-26-2008, 10:17 AM
Jon, looks good how are you doing your finish?

Bob

Jon Lanier
03-26-2008, 11:50 AM
Jon, looks good how are you doing your finish?

Bob

I went to the local glass shop and asked for some cut off's of plexi glass. I then took a mason Jar and put enough plexi-glass to fill the bottom of the jar. I then put Acetone in the jar just enough to cover the plexi. Over a few days I would stir...check add a little more Acetone...stir check/add... until I got a consistency of thin CA glue.

Ben Gastfriend
03-26-2008, 6:07 PM
Wow, Jon! The finish looks amazing! You're telling me that all I need to melt plexi is some straight acetone?!

Dale Gregory
03-26-2008, 9:04 PM
John, you probably know already, but be careful with acetone, wear PPE (gloves, respirator) as it has nasty long term effects when inhaled or via skin.

How did it compare to super glue in application, gloss, and hardness?

Dale

Toney Robertson
03-26-2008, 9:10 PM
John, you probably know already, but be careful with acetone, wear PPE (gloves, respirator) as it has when inhaled or via skin.

Dale

What are the "nasty long term effects"?

Just interested because I have been around acetone.

Toney

Russ Peters
03-26-2008, 9:36 PM
Here is the MSDS sheet on acetone

http://www.bu.edu/es/labsafety/ESMSDSs/MSAcetone.html

Jon Lanier
03-26-2008, 10:27 PM
Wow, Jon! The finish looks amazing! You're telling me that all I need to melt plexi is some straight acetone?!

Pretty much, Ben. Be careful with the acetone, I mixed this stuff out in the garage and kept it there until is got to the usable point. Do not put near anything flammable. Then keep it sealed. When using, wear some rubber gloves.

Jon Lanier
03-26-2008, 10:30 PM
John, you probably know already, but be careful with acetone, wear PPE (gloves, respirator) as it has nasty long term effects when inhaled or via skin.

Dale

Slower. I wiped it on pretty much the same way. Except I used cloth instead of Shop/paper towel. Takes about a minute in between coats and I did about 10 coats but they were very thin. Looked a bit crunchy afterward... but the Micro mesh took care of that.

Dale Gregory
03-27-2008, 7:51 AM
Toney, inhallation is the main health issue. Can cause dizziness, and headaches. Long term, can effect the central nervous system. Just make sure you use gloves and either a respirator or have plenty of fresh air moving. It's extremely flammable, but so is a million other things so use common sense. It works great on oily woods like cocobolo when preparing for finishing or prepping for glue up. A quick wipe just will remove enough of the natural oil at the surface of the wood to allow good bonding.

Dale

Rasmus Petersen
03-27-2008, 8:00 AM
Yep Acetone actually dissolves the some of the fat in your brain, we have had some big big cases i denmark in the 80´ with painters. It can give permanent braindamage

Denis Monti
03-28-2008, 3:20 AM
Jon. I understand that "plexi glass is a trade name for acrylic sheet. Is that correct?

I've put some in acetone but nothing has happened since starting it 5 hrs ago. How long should I expect to wait before the plexi starts to dissolve?

Thanks. Denis

Jon Lanier
03-28-2008, 11:41 AM
Jon. I understand that "plexi glass is a trade name for acrylic sheet. Is that correct?

I've put some in acetone but nothing has happened since starting it 5 hrs ago. How long should I expect to wait before the plexi starts to dissolve?

Thanks. Denis

The whole process takes 5-7 days. Every few days check it and see what the consistency is like. Keep adding a little acetone every once in a while until you get the same look/feel of thin CA glue.

-Jon

Ken Vonk
03-28-2008, 1:12 PM
Does anybody have any experience with Plexi and wood discoloring? Would this prevent padauk from changing color?

thanks,

Ken

Jon Lanier
03-28-2008, 2:07 PM
Does anybody have any experience with Plexi and wood discoloring? Would this prevent padauk from changing color?

thanks,

Ken

That would be interesting. I think I'll make a little Paduak blank with Plexi on it and set it in the sun. Should prove interesting.

-Jon

Joe Judge
03-29-2008, 9:28 AM
Some plexiglass yellows over time -- if I remember correctly. But, I don't remember anything about the finish breaking down.

There was (is?) a lot of discussion of using plexiglass as a pen finish over at IAP (penturners)

-- joe

Jon Lanier
03-29-2008, 1:08 PM

thanks,

Ken

I went ahead and turned some Paduak and gave it the Plexi treatment. I nailed to the corner of our small deck which gets the Sun. So, sun, weathering...etc. I'll check it every so often and see what happens.

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1906/paduakplexi1kf9.jpg