PDA

View Full Version : plantation shutters

chris yount
03-25-2008, 9:58 PM
I finally got my shutters built and up in my breakfast nook.The large window is 93" wide x 58" tall.I made a track for the center panels to ride in and they fold toward each other in the center as the picture shows.I was afraid there would be too much weight on the hinges if I tried too hang them from window frame.LOML wanted them to hang inside of the uncased windows so i cut 1/2 plywood and secured this with screws through the dry wall into studs.The openings were out of square so I shimmed the plywood square then cased over to cover this up.

These were alot of work but I think the results and money saved was woth the effort.

Guy Germaine
03-26-2008, 7:01 AM
Thanks for posting this. I'm getting ready to start making shutters for our Front Room and Dining Room. The Dining room has 4 double-hung windows set next to one another to make it look like one large window. I have been wondering how I was going to hang the shutters since our windows do not have any casing either. Would you mind taking some closer shots so I can see how you hung your shutters? Thanks

chris yount
03-26-2008, 9:11 AM
I made the track from shutter slat material.The bushing that goes in the track was made from polyyrethane the top step 3/8" x 1/2" long this goes into the shutter the bottom is 1/2" dia. x 3/8" long .the center section that rides on the top of track is 1" dia. x 1/4" thick.The track runs the width of the window so you can slide it all the way to either side when the outside panels are open.
The center panels are joined with bifold door hinges.I clamped them lightly and atached hinges.

chris yount
03-26-2008, 9:25 AM
This is a picture of the bushing.I think that hard wood ones would work just as well.I wanted to keep the weght of shutter spread out on the shoulder of the bushing,not directly on the window sill.