PDA

View Full Version : Dado design?

Jay Yoder
03-25-2008, 9:53 PM
What style dado do you folks prefer? Stack style or dial a width style? I have the dial a width and like it, but i wondered if a stack dado takes less set up time. The dial a width is nice b /c you have infinate adjustability...

Peter Quinn
03-25-2008, 9:59 PM
I like em both so I didn't vote. Anything but a wobble dado...who thought that was a good idea?

I assume buy dial a width you are talking about the freud, and not a wobble...I don't need anything with the word wobble in its name spinning in my TS!

Jim Becker
03-25-2008, 10:30 PM
Jay, the "dial a width" (Freud) IS a stack dado set...with a convenient adjustment system that eliminates the need for shims. Avoid a wobble dado, however...

The Freud SD608 is pretty much the same as the venerable SD508 with the addition of the hub. Same chippers, etc.

glenn bradley
03-25-2008, 11:14 PM
I have the SD508. If my saw would have taken it I would have gone for the SD608 in a heartbeat.

Lee Schierer
03-26-2008, 1:11 PM
I have a wobble type and it does an acceptable job. You need to be aware that on wider widths the bottom of the dado will not be perfectly flat with a wobble style cutter. Note that Wobble doesn't mean out of balance. Mine runs without vibration of any sort.

Anthony Whitesell
03-26-2008, 1:18 PM
I don't have and haven't figured out how to make a dado throat plate for my table saw. So when I do dadoes on the TS the are on very very large pieces that will completely cover the throat opening by a minimum of 3x and I use a wobble dado. Even with that said, I like router dadoes the best. A gentleman published an article in the New Hampshire Woodworkers Guild magazine on a no measure dado system. I built and love it. I will be adapting it for using on a router table and sending him and them back the modified plans.

Brent Ring
03-26-2008, 2:36 PM
I don't have and haven't figured out how to make a dado throat plate for my table saw. So when I do dadoes on the TS the are on very very large pieces that will completely cover the throat opening by a minimum of 3x and I use a wobble dado. Even with that said, I like router dadoes the best. A gentleman published an article in the New Hampshire Woodworkers Guild magazine on a no measure dado system. I built and love it. I will be adapting it for using on a router table and sending him and them back the modified plans.

Could you post the modified plans here as well? We would all benefit, I am sure!

Anthony Whitesell
03-26-2008, 7:10 PM
To be fair to the original creator I'd like to clear it with him first :cool: and then I will post here and try for a Top Tip to get some free stuff.:D

Jay Yoder
03-26-2008, 7:16 PM
Sorry for any infringement on the Freud name, What i have a craftsman dado set that has a dial to adjust to desired width. It is different from a traditional stack which you have a bunch of chippers. This one has a ring in the center which when is turned, adjust the overall width. It does not leave the flattest bottom. I was wondering if a traditional stack dado set would work better. that was what i was trying to poll. sorry for any confusion.

glenn bradley
03-26-2008, 7:17 PM
Could you post the modified plans here as well? We would all benefit, I am sure!

If it is the method where you use your actual material to set the dado width, mine is here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=46406 I like a router for dado's but some wider tenons are easier with a stack. I rarely use my SD508 for narrow dado's, the router is easier and faster. For large cuts, the dado stack is the way to go; much quicker.

Anthony Whitesell
03-26-2008, 7:30 PM
Not for mine. No measuring, no figuring, no estimating. The jig I use is dependent on the bit size and the stock size and does the subtraction for you. I hope to get a hold of the author soon.

Raymond Fries
03-26-2008, 7:44 PM
This was my first dado set and I have been very happy with the results. It is awesome...:)