PDA

View Full Version : Triton 3 1/4 Router

Jerry LaBelle
03-25-2008, 9:53 PM
I see Amazon just dropped the price on the Triton 3 1/4 hp router. Was $269 and is now $214.99. The 2 1/4 is still at $199. Doesn't appear to be a special. I know Woodcraft is also selling it for the same price. Is this an old model thats being dropped?? Any issues with the 3 1/4 hp?:confused:

Jerry

matt dumney
03-25-2008, 10:04 PM
i'm interested in this also. Woodcraft has had this price for a while. I haven't heard anything negative on this brand.

I just posted a note on the big freud amazon is selling for 130.xx. I expect this is an old model.

Loren Blount
03-25-2008, 10:25 PM
I was considering the 2 1/4 hp triton as a replacement for my router table based on the review in fine woodworking. Does anyone know the differences between the 2 1/4 vs 3 1/4. If they are the same except for the HP I belive I will go for the 3 1/4Hp at the sale price

Thanks Loren

J. Z. Guest
03-25-2008, 10:28 PM
The 2-1/4 model has more features, (aside from hp) but I can't for the life of me recall what they are. Something to do with table use, I think... :confused:

matt dumney
03-25-2008, 10:32 PM
The 2-1/4 model has fewer features, (aside from hp) but I can't for the life of me recall what they are. Something to do with table use, I think... :confused:

Is the 3 hp setup for use in the Triton table??? That might be the difference...

glenn bradley
03-25-2008, 10:45 PM
I was considering the 2 1/4 hp triton as a replacement for my router table based on the review in fine woodworking. Does anyone know the differences between the 2 1/4 vs 3 1/4. If they are the same except for the HP I belive I will go for the 3 1/4Hp at the sale price

Thanks Loren

The 2-1/4 model's wonderful above the table features were not carried to the 3-1/4 model for some reason the manufacturer must understand because, I don't. I would think the larger router should be more feature rich.

I didn't realize the price had gone up. They were both $199 when my dad picked his up last year. The diff was that the smaller unit came with a crank, a guide, set of bushings, etc. and the larger came a-la carte.

Correction, I think I see why the price is different. They have fixed the self locking collet and switch issue on the larger model it seems. They have also gone to metal gears and metal 'other' parts that were previously plastic and fell under fire during reviews. You should do a side by side comparison of features as it appears they have changed a bit.

Dave MacArthur
03-25-2008, 10:46 PM
The 3 HP doesn't have all the above table adjustment ability of the 2 hp, from my reading... which is wierd, I'd think if you were going to really go to work on a design for an in-table router, you'd do it on your 3+HP vs. your 2+ one.

Loren Blount
03-25-2008, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the info. I think I'll be staying with the 2 1/4

Loren

Erech Myers
03-26-2008, 12:28 AM
I see Amazon just dropped the price on the Triton 3 1/4 hp router. Was $269 and is now $214.99. The 2 1/4 is still at $199. Doesn't appear to be a special. I know Woodcraft is also selling it for the same price. Is this an old model thats being dropped?? Any issues with the 3 1/4 hp?:confused:

Jerry

I received the Triton 3 1/4 for Christmas and it was purchased at Woodcraft. I've seen multiple vendors sell it for $199 at the Woodworking Show in Atlanta the last few years. Amazon has always been high on this router. Not sure why.
http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/products.asp?dept=246

The only feature to my knowledge that the 3 1/4 does not have that the 2 1/4 does have is the above the table fine adjustment. But it does not matter much as long as you can reach your router easily and face the correct handle towards you when mounting. You can still do quick easy above the table bit changes.

If you plan to use big bits such as panel raising bits for cabinet doors, I'd get the 3 1/4. Otherwise, get the 2 1/4.

Jerry LaBelle
03-26-2008, 6:49 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I'll do a little more checking. I've been close to pulling the trigger on the 2 1/4 based on all of the reviews. Maybe Triton is phasing this model out with a newer updated 3 1/4 model with features like the 2 1/4.

Jerry

Wayne Cannon
03-26-2008, 12:19 PM
I think the 3 1/2 HP Triton is better-designed for router table installation than its 2 1/2 HP cousin, or most other routers.

The 2 1/4 HP Triton has a "Router Raizer" style crank that you can insert through a hole in the table top to crank it up and down.

I just installed a 3 1/2 HP Triton in a Sommerfeld table top, so I can tell you more about it. Ask if you have a question I don't answer.

The 3 1/2 HP Triton has a more convenient built-in lift capability than any router I've seen, except that you have to reach under the table. Twisting one knob provides a coarse adjustment (full travel in about one rotation of the knob) when you pull in a concentric clutch disk behind the knob (in addition to a normal "plunge "mode). There is a very fine adjustment knob for dialing in the exact setting that works great (it looks like a worm drive into the knob's adjustment).

Raising it to maximum height automatically locks the shaft, although you can do the traditional button-push shaft-lock at any other height. The collet will raise to well above the router base and table thickness for easy collet tightening.

The 3 1/2 HP router is designed to make removing the spring (for inverted operation) much easier than any other.

It has a very effective built-in dust-collection shroud with vacuum port, so very little dust escapes into the cabinet below. In addition, the internal fan exhales toward the base to help the dust collection, instead of inhaling sawdust as other routers do, especially in an inverted table application.

The fine adjustment works very well. The coarse adjustment is a little "sticky" at times, as though the one-sided lifting may be binding slightly. I haven't played with it to solve the problem yet, but a light touch with a second hand makes it work smoothly. In his demo, Marc Sommerfeld definitely had no similar issue with his installation.

The throat opening of the 3 1/2 HP Triton isn't quite that of the PC 7518, but it's still pretty wide.

Having said all that, I prefer my PC 7518 with a JessEm Rout-R-Lift. However, it's hard to beat the price of the Triton, and its combination coarse and fine adjustment works very well. I haven't tried a Router-Raizer style, but the coarse adjustment sure beats a lot of cranking for significant adjustments. The reach-under-the-table adjustment is slightly less convenient for my 62-year-old knees and back, but it works very well.

Dave MacArthur
03-26-2008, 12:32 PM
Great review, best info I've read on this router after buying several magazines specifically to look at table-mount routers, and this one specifically. Thanks much!