PDA

View Full Version : Edit**New question!! How tight should the belt be on a table saw?

Kyle Costlow
03-25-2008, 7:56 PM
I have just finished putting my table saw back together after a complete disassembly and cleaning. I was going to start it up, but I wanted to make sure I put the belt on right. Its really tight, I was thinking the tighter the better, but I thought I would get a more experienced opinion.
Thanks,
Kyle

I'll post some pictures later, it looks much better, and the fence glides perfectly now:)

Lance Norris
03-25-2008, 8:20 PM
The belt should have 1/2" deflection in the middle of the span between pulleys with moderate pressure. Or you should be able to roll the belt 180 degrees between your fingers...ie inside-out

Kyle Costlow
03-25-2008, 8:24 PM
Thank you Lance:D

Kyle Costlow
03-25-2008, 8:44 PM
Also, should the bolt that controls the motor movement be locked, or should the motor be allowed to move... It seems that when a raise or lower the blade the tension on the belt changes, when the bolt is not tightened the tension is more constant. How is it supposed to be?

Tom Veatch
03-25-2008, 8:55 PM
Also, should the bolt that controls the motor movement be locked, or should the motor be allowed to move... It seems that when a raise or lower the blade the tension on the belt changes, when the bolt is not tightened the tension is more constant. How is it supposed to be?

Back when I had a contractor style saw, an old 10" craftsman, the motor was free to pivot about the attach bolt. The weight of the motor tensioned the belt and the motor moved as the blade height was adjusted. The old saw served me well for many years with that configuration.

Kyle Costlow
03-25-2008, 9:02 PM
Thanks so much Tom(Mine is an old craftsman 10"), now I feel confident enough to start it up. Once I get the alignment right, maybe I'll be able to cut some wood.
Thanks again guys!

Charlie Barnes
03-25-2008, 9:40 PM
FYI, it is possible to have a v-belt too tight which could place extra stress on the bearings. My understanding is that a v-belt actually expands across its width (very slightly) when compressed around a pulley. This allows the belt to "grip" the pulley and pull the load without needing to be drum tight. The previous recommendations for tightness are in line with most other sources and seem quite reasonable.

glenn bradley
03-25-2008, 11:24 PM
I have just finished putting my table saw back together after a complete disassembly and cleaning. I was going to start it up, but I wanted to make sure I put the belt on right. Its really tight, I was thinking the tighter the better, but I thought I would get a more experienced opinion.
Thanks,
Kyle

I'll post some pictures later, it looks much better, and the fence glides perfectly now:)

If you are talking about a contractor style body, the weight of the motor is sufficient. The motor should move freely. That is the pivot bolt should not be tight.

Jules Dominguez
03-26-2008, 11:30 PM
What Glenn said.

David Tiell
03-27-2008, 2:02 AM
Yep, the above guys are right. The weight of the motor should tension the belt sufficiently, and the motor should be free to pivot/move.