PDA

View Full Version : Finishing issues and big project...

Vito Baratta
03-25-2008, 7:02 PM
Greetings,

I have a big project ahead, I am building a king size bed and not only have I never built anything as big and complex, I am also having issues with the finishing aspect. This project is for my girlfriend and I when we will get married and move in together, it is not for a client, therefore I don't need to rush it. I am currently testing several types of dyes and stains on a test piece before I begin the real project, however I don't like the finish I am getting.

I am going for a high gloss finish and I am planning on using pre-catalyzed lacquer since I will be polishing it, however I am having issues achieving the correct color. If it was up to me, I would make it out of cherry and leave it with its natural color with a lacquer only on top. My girlfriend is looking for something that looks purple, sort of like how purpleheart looks when it's freshly cut.

Personally, I prefer keeping wood its natural color, however the decision is not mine on this project. I am hoping I could get some opinions on how I can achieve this color while still making it looks like wood and not some piece of plastic like some commercial pieces of furniture.

Thanks in advance.

Jim Becker
03-25-2008, 10:40 PM
What species are you trying to work with? I'm not finding that information in your post.

And the best way to get the look of purple heart...is to use purple heart. I suspect any dye that will get you to that general color is going to look, well...unnatural.

Vito Baratta
03-26-2008, 12:50 AM
I would be willing to work with any species provided I can obtain that purple color.

The only reasons I am hesitant to use purpleheart is because I have been told it is extremely difficult to work with and also, supposedly it doesn't stay purple and will turn a dark brown which would defeat the purpose of using it.

Steve Schoene
03-26-2008, 2:01 AM
Does your fiance have academic training in art or design? Does she make a living in such a field?

I'd use shellac or straight NC lacquer, not catalyzed for this. Plenty durable--beds don't take much abuse, even from newly weds. Easier to change when the decorating scheme changes but fully as capable of taking a high gloss.

I'd choose something like maple if I were polishing to a high sheen order to polish to a high sheen, and analine dye to establish the color. And, do your self a favor and pitch the color more toward the purple hard just as it has begun to brown instead of pure toy box purple. You might get this by starting with the purple dye, and then using a relatively dark top coat material to mellow it a bit. The yellowish of an amber finishing material will go a long way toward neutralizing it's complementary color purple.

But be sure whatever you do that you prepare some large samples with dye and topcoat together of what you propose to do to get signed off on by the "client". Make sure there is a range from really purple to a more subtle tint so it is easier for her, without losing face or an argument to select mellow when she sees in in the flesh rather than in the mind's eye.

Frankly the bright purple of most fresh purpleheart just boggles my mind as an entire bed. I really can't imagine how you would decorate around such a color.

Sam Yerardi
03-26-2008, 7:31 AM
I'll second Steve's suggestions. While purpleheart is a beautiful wood, it will lose the purple color (and Steve has a good point - what would go with it?) and eventually turn brown regardless of what finish is applied. I second the maple approach because if you are after a consistent color scheme in the finish, that is one approach a factory would use because it works so well. In the final analysis, with the coloring, and finish, and the eventual change to a brown color, all that the purple heart buys you (aside from its superior strength and density) is the ability to tell people 'it's purpleheart'. But you will forever be explaining to people why it is brown :)....

Greg Cole
03-26-2008, 10:00 AM
. beds don't take much abuse, even from newly weds. .
Thanks for the coffee out the nose Steve....;)
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around a solid puple heart bed as well.... I'd go back to the "client" with some options.
Whatever you opt to go with, do follow Steve's advice about prepping a large sample, not a 2" long peice of scrap. Also prep you sample with the same sanding regimen as the final project in order to get a very good idea of how the project will look when finished.

Cheers.
Greg

Steven Wilson
03-26-2008, 10:27 AM
Vito, I would start looking at guitars and if you find a purple finish that you like then contact them about their finishing schedule. I would also contact Jeff Jewitt. As for wood maple, birch, or ash would be what I would look at (ash is used for guitar bodies and takes colorful stains fairly well) depending on what kind of grain you want to show.

Vito Baratta
03-26-2008, 5:45 PM
beds don't take much abuse, even from newly weds.

LOL. :D

Thanks for all your helpful information.

I spoke with the "client" aka "The Boss" and she agreed to a different color which could prevent me from having to stain the wood which I like since it will look better in its natural color.

She asked for something that is dark brown, with not much red in it.

I was looking into different types of species that I could use without staining to achieve this color and I came up with the following choices:

Brazilian Cherry (Jatoba)
Peruvian Walnut

Are there any other species that can give a dark brown color naturally?

Thanks.

Niels J. Larsen
04-02-2008, 5:14 AM
Wenge is a suggestion.

Mark Singer made a beautiful Wenge table a while ago - you can see it here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=44907&highlight=wenge