PDA

View Full Version : Adhesive tape rule for table saw??

Larry Browning
03-23-2004, 12:27 PM
I am the process of setting up my new G1023SL and thought the adhesive backed tape ruler wasn't very accruate. It is made of plastic and will probably strech when I attach to the rail. I checked it against a couple of my tape measures and it doesn't match. It is off by almost 1/4" at the 52" mark! Anyway I have been looking for a 3/4" metal replacement. I found one from Biesemyer at amazon but it doesn't say if it is metal or plastic. Do any of you know what it is made out of? I would really like to find one from Starrett, but so far haven't found it. Any help would be appreciated.

Larry

Jamie Buxton
03-23-2004, 12:47 PM
You can buy Starett self-adhesive rules from Enco (www.use-enco.com). A four foot steel one which is a half inch wide costs $5. A 6 foot one 3/4" wide costs $6. You can cut them shorter with scissors.

Alternatively, you can stick down conventional rigid steel rules with double-sided carpet tape. Mine have stayed on for years. There's some argument that rigid rules are more accurate. Tapes are just printed with something almost like a big paint roller. Slippage may well have caused the quarter inch error you're seeing on your plastic tape. Rigid rules are machined, and are more likely to be manufactured without errors. Enco can sell you long rigid rules, too.

Larry Browning
03-23-2004, 2:08 PM
Thanks Jamie, I ordered the Starrett plus a dial indicator.
This is exactly why this forum and ones like it (well, nothing's like SMC) are so valuable to all of us. How did we ever get by without the internet?

Larry

Steven Wilson
03-23-2004, 2:32 PM
I had a tape on my PM66 that was out of whack in one area. It would measure fine to 20", then goofey until 32", and then fine again. Anyhow, I replaced it with another one from Powermatic and they sent me 1/2 dozen of which I picked one and sent the rest back. The tape is fairly accurate, only out 1/32" in a few spots. Be careful when you apply the tape so that you do not warp the tape. If you pull on the tape it will stretch (plastic or metal), I've goofed up a couple of Starrett tapes by being a bit heavy handed when applying them. Also, go over the tape with a J-roller when done.