PDA

View Full Version : Just another new kid on the block

David Newson
03-25-2008, 2:14 PM
My first public post just to say hi to everyone, and and very big thank you publicly to Steve Schlumpf who has been extremely helpful assembling a shipping list for fittings for his plans on the Vacuum Chuck System, trying to source them in the UK where I live is proving difficult if not impossible.

And reading some of the posts here everyone of you appear extremely helpful bunch of guys, and I'm glad that I found your web site.

A little bit about myself I live in the UK, and have been turning about 14 months, and use a Vicmarc lathe.

David

robert hainstock
03-25-2008, 2:22 PM
I second your remarks about Steve. He is the best of neighbors. You will find this a most warm and welcome site, and if you hafta be in the vortex, this is a great place to be. :D
Bob

Glenn Hodges
03-25-2008, 2:22 PM
Glad to have you aboard David, and hope we can be helpful in the future.

Steve Schlumpf
03-25-2008, 3:15 PM
David - Welcome to the Creek! Lots of very talented folks here who love to share what they know about turning!

Looking forward to seeing some photos of your work - when you get the chance!

Bernie Weishapl
03-25-2008, 3:30 PM
Welcome to SMC. Glad to have you with us.

Harvey M. Taylor
03-25-2008, 4:06 PM
And a big ole Texas welcome to ya. Got a 10 gallon hat waiting for you if youi venture to the other side of the 'pond'. Max in the DFW area of Texas. Welcome!!!!!

Bill Wyko
03-25-2008, 4:09 PM
Again, welcome to the vortex. Got any pics of your work? We like pics.:D

David Newson
03-25-2008, 6:52 PM
What lovely warm welcome from all you guys, and great bunch of wood turners, a message for Harvey visiting your state may be may be sooner than you think, as myself and wife have been on holiday/vacation 7 years running doing a fly drive and been to Wyoming, Utah,South Dakota,Arizona,Nevada,California, as your country is so vast its taking a little while to get round and see everyone, as you may already gather we have already experienced your warm hospitality.

My wood turning has been projects out of magazines and changing some parts so its individual to me, and always trying what I call one off's experimental work to get the feel and sometimes I surprise myself, but my attitude is if you don't try these thing you never know, I will put some pictures up on my next post.

David

Nothing ventured nothing gained !

David Newson
03-25-2008, 7:58 PM
Some pictures of my work open to any critique its the only way to learn.

At the moment struggling to get pictures smaller for site at the moment i got message saying cant upload any more.

David

David Newson
03-25-2008, 8:19 PM
And some more pictures open to critique good or bad.

David

Toney Robertson
03-25-2008, 8:36 PM
Great looking pieces. Turning is so much fun isn't it.

By the way, I LOVE the UK. I have been to the UK twice and I would go back in a heart beat. You Brits are some of the warmest, most friendly people on the planet. I can never recall anyone that was rude or boorish. Unfortunately I can't say the same about the French. VBG.

The history is unbelievable. Cambridge, Stonehenge, The Tower, St. Paul's, etc. etc. Great fun.

The only down side of the UK is DAMN it is expensive and with the dollar taking a dive I can't imagine what the exchange rate is now.

If you are ever in Indiana (I don't know why you would be) you have a place to stay and rest a while.

Toney

Steve Mawson
03-25-2008, 10:14 PM
Very nice David. I believe you must be pretty well hooked. What is the wood in the items you posted? Been a long time since I visited you beautiful country but ready to go back at any time. If you have been to South Dakota you were not far from me.

Richard Madison
03-25-2008, 10:30 PM
Gadzook, another artist! Very nice work, David. Some of us with just simple mechanical skills are a bit envious of those with artistic ability.

There are friendly woodturners all over Texas. Let us know when and where you will visit, and I'll bet some woodturners will show up to welcome you.

Bill Bolen
03-25-2008, 11:42 PM
Welcome David! Your pictures look great and your work even nicer. I hope we can lear a bit from YOU!..Bill...

Ron Drew
03-26-2008, 7:23 AM
Welcome to the forum David. Your pieces look good - I especially like the cup and saucer, and what I assume is a hollow form. Very nice, look forward to seeing more. Ron

David Newson
03-26-2008, 8:39 AM
Thanks to everyone for your comments and kind words and a very warm welcome to your forum.

Later on I hope to include details if required how I completed some of the projects and hopefully not trying to teach grandma how to suck eggs!

For now for those who are interested in the wood I used :-

Egg and Base, the egg is a piece of Olive Ash and the base is Spalted Beech which had split and no good for anything else the texture was applied with a Proxon Mini Long Shaft Grinder fitted with a small chainsaw blade and was sprayed black with acrylic paint.

Hollow Form is Spalted Sycamore/Maple, the small insert is a piece of cherry and the black is felt tip pen applied after detailing with Sorby Texture Tool, and carved area using the Proxon Mini Carver.

Bowl of Fruit the bowl is Spalted Elm which the tree had died due to Dutch Elm Disease,the top apple is Spalted Sycamore, lower apple is Yew,the pear is Cherry,and orange & lemon are just spirit stained wood of origin cant remember but because they detailed it has got to be a hard wood.

Tea Cup and Saucer the cup is Ash and the saucer is Sycamore it should have been made with all sycamore but I used what I had at the time.

The bowl is Elm and detail applied to rim with Sorby Texture Tool