PDA

View Full Version : Windows power management question

Bruce Page
03-25-2008, 1:43 PM
I want to be able to power down my LCD monitor when I’m away from the computer. When I right click the “desktop/Properties/Screen Saver/Power/Turn off monitor”, and select 5 min, the setting lasts for exactly two power up cycles then reverts back to “Never” mode.
Is there a way to permanently set the computer to power down the monitor after 5 minuets of non-use? You’d think that that the desktop route would do it but it doesn’t. :confused:

I’m running Windows 2000 Professional, SP4. (I know, I really need to get a new computer system…)

Thanks

Jim Becker
03-25-2008, 2:12 PM
The setting should stick, Bruce...something is amiss with your machine, I'm afraid...

Bruce Page
03-25-2008, 4:28 PM
The setting should stick, Bruce...something is amiss with your machine, I'm afraid...

Jim, I'm afraid you are right.
I shut the computer down each night. When I boot up the next day (and the day after that) the computer remembers the power down setting but on the third day it reverts back to the “Never” mode and doesn’t shut the monitor off again.
It is very weird!

Jim Becker
03-25-2008, 5:02 PM
It's a plot by the computer manufacturers to drive you to buy a new machine...or to drink...or maybe both... :D

Eric Franklin
03-25-2008, 5:17 PM
This might be a long shot but I would verify that the battery on the motherboard is good.

Curt Harms
03-25-2008, 6:34 PM
Do You work as an administrator or as a restricted user? I run as a restricted user 90% of the time and the downside to this is that changed settings typically do not "stick". OTOH, changes "others" might make unknown to me seem less likely to stick as well;) or at least that's my reasoning.

HTH

Curt

Bruce Page
03-25-2008, 6:50 PM
Curt, it is my home pc and I am logged on as an administrator.

Dick Latshaw
03-25-2008, 9:12 PM
I’m running Windows 2000 Professional, SP4.
Thanks

No wonder you are having problems. You are DOOMED! Bill himself has declared that you are dead meat.

Face the music and get a new machine with :D Vista :D and all your current problems will end. (Not to say that you might just possibly have a whole bunch of new ones. :()

Bruce Page
03-25-2008, 9:21 PM
No wonder you are having problems. You are DOOMED! Bill himself has declared that you are dead meat.

Face the music and get a new machine with :D Vista :D and all your current problems will end. (Not to say that you might just possibly have a whole bunch of new ones. :()
LOL! That's what I'm afraid of!

Peter Stahl
03-26-2008, 6:17 AM
or go on ebay and get a cheap copy of XP. I had 2000 and XP is much better. We had Windows NT at work at the time I had 2000 and they were simular. After we upgraded to XP at work I had to get rid of the Win 2000 I had. Check to make sure your PC is fast enough to run XP first if you decide to go that route.