PDA

View Full Version : Box Elder - Good for Flat Work?

Brent Ring
03-25-2008, 11:58 AM
I have an option to pick up some free box elder logs tonight. I have seen alot of people use it for turning. What about flat work?

Chris Padilla
03-25-2008, 2:01 PM
Interesting, Brent. I, too, have only heard it used for turning. Google may yield you results.

However, free wood is the best species of wood out there! :D

Brent Ring
03-25-2008, 2:06 PM
I just also got a commitment from someone who wants an Apricot tree taken down. Looks to have a good 14-16" trunk for about 10'-12'. Looks like my Saturday just got committed.

I will have pics for other tomorrow!

Steve Rozmiarek
03-25-2008, 2:45 PM
I have an option to pick up some free box elder logs tonight. I have seen alot of people use it for turning. What about flat work?

It's related to maple (?) I think. You'd think it would work ok. Pretty stuff IMHO.

Jim Becker
03-25-2008, 2:46 PM
Box elder is a maple (Acer) variety, but is somewhat considered a 'scrap' wood. It's an opportunistic tree and tends to be unstable...more than many other maple varieties in that respect. If it's been dried carefully, you could have some good results.

On the apricot...as well as any other fruitwood or ornamental fruit tree, stability can be an issue, but with proper and careful drying it is beautiful stuff. I've only turned apricot, but really loved the results.

Bruce Volden
03-25-2008, 3:08 PM
I had a neighbor who milled his own lumber and he used box elder for his kitchen cabs~~~~BEAUTIFUL~~~~lotsa red streaking. I know he's had them now for over 10 years so it must be holding up good enough for him and his wife.

Bruce

Joe Spear
03-25-2008, 7:57 PM
My experience with fruit trees (plum and peach) is that the wood is very beautiful, but they are difficult to dry without splitting badly.