PDA

View Full Version : Winter project - shop update

Larry Fox
03-25-2008, 11:57 AM
I have all but completed my winter project which was a shop update and I figured that I ought to show pics now because it will never get any cleaner than in these pics.

The project started after I got a halfway decent deal on a cyclone DC and was looking at installation options and it just spiraled out from there (my wife says it spiraled out of control but....) :) . Key goals were 1) control dust as much as possible and 2) layout with a bias towards maximizing usable floor-space

There are some remaining issues like painting the floor (can’t do that until it warms up), touchup paint, installing a cabinet for spray gear etc. but that is small stuff relatively speaking.

Shop is in a three-car garage. Prior to the update I had two full slots and for this I claimed all but a very small sliver of the third slot so I was able to increase usable space by almost 50%. I changed the layout around, relocated and hard-piped my compressor, relocated the DC to reduce noise in the house, introduced some Festool, etc. I also relocated all stock not specifically involved in a project. It was surprising to me how much room that was able to buy me and how much it reduced the cluttered feeling I had prior. However, to be truthful, my stock storage was far from optimal. Project took about 3-4 months and lasted wayyyyyy too long.

Anyway, comments / critiques / suggestions for improvement welcome. Shots are just random ones taken from every corner basically.

Bruce Page
03-25-2008, 12:10 PM
Very professional looking Larry, excellent job!
Nice & bright, I love the tall ceilings

Garth Keel
03-25-2008, 12:11 PM
Your shop is way too neat and tidy. I like it a lot. Good organization. You deserve an entire 3 car garage and more!:D

Greg Cole
03-25-2008, 12:20 PM
Hi Larry,
Dunno what it looked like before but looks damn good now.
Ditto what Bruce said about the ceiling too, I have a 2 car garage with less than 8' not too mention HVAC ducting boxed in where at 6'2" I bump my damn head on it. You'd think after 5 + years I'd catch on...:rolleyes:

Cheers.
Greg

Tim Malyszko
03-25-2008, 2:56 PM
Great looking shop.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-25-2008, 3:03 PM
Sweet shop Larry, I'm jealous!

Roy Wall
03-25-2008, 3:13 PM
A lot of great work came out of the "old" shop..........this "new" version will certainly produce more of the same. Better lighting, compressed air, bay doors = NICE~!

I think the TRIFECTA is the area were the TS, Jointer, Planer are all consolidated with efficient DC and workflow - sweet setup Larry!

Jim Becker
03-25-2008, 3:33 PM
Very nice job, Larry.

Rod Sheridan
03-26-2008, 10:37 AM
Very nice looking Larry, I like the EMT and the lockable disconnect on the jointer.

What model cyclone is that?

Regards, Rod.

Larry Fox
03-26-2008, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the kind replies everyone.

Rod, it is an Onieda but an older one. It has a 2-hp blower that is a seperate unit and joined to the cyclone with a big rubber plumbing boot.

The disconnect dumps the power to both the jointer and the TS. I have small kids that like to come out into the shop.

Jim Kirkpatrick
03-26-2008, 12:19 PM
Very nice, neat job on the DC. What's in the nice looking cabinet behind the drill press? (Pictures please!)

Don Bullock
03-26-2008, 8:19 PM
Larry that's a great looking shop. Your DC system is fantastic. I just saved all the pictures for future inspiration.:D

Larry Fox
03-26-2008, 10:33 PM
Jim - the cabinet you reference is for sandpaper and sawblades. I will post a pic of the inside if you are interested.

Jim Kirkpatrick
03-27-2008, 6:48 AM
Jim - the cabinet you reference is for sandpaper and sawblades. I will post a pic of the inside if you are interested.

yes please!

Larry Fox
03-27-2008, 11:44 PM
Here ya go Jim. Thanks for looking.

Jim Kirkpatrick
03-28-2008, 7:01 AM
Very nice Larry! I'll grab some ideas from you on my project. Cherry for rails and stiles and maple (ply?) for panel?

Larry Fox
03-28-2008, 9:01 AM
Thanks Jim. Correct on the materials - they were leftover from my kitchen project. Slathered with some leftover Waterlox to give them some protection.

In the event that it helps you with your design, there are a couple of things that I would change about it were I to do it again.

1) Make the shelves removeable so you can change the arrangement. As it is, I am kinda stuck if I ever want to change it.

2) Make it a little wider. I built it when I used a 5" ROS and now I have a 6" Festool and the drawers for the disks are only wide enough for 2x5" disks. As such, the disks I only use when sanding outside have a nice home and my pricely Festool disks are in a cardboard box until I can build something better. :(

One thing that I do like about it is the seal that it has. I caulked all the joints and have that foam seal along the door opening so no matter how dirty or dusty the shop gets, stuff in there staus clean.

Jim Kirkpatrick
03-28-2008, 9:17 AM
Good point on the shelves. I'll definitely make them adjustable. I need to make a cabinet to house the many Festool abrasives boxes I've been accumulating. And I only have the RO150, there's 4 other sanders I have my eye on.
What I like about yours is the material usage. I like to purdy up my shop cabs. Thanks for your input, Larry.

dan mahler
03-28-2008, 1:48 PM
Larry,

Looks as if you have been busy! Very nice work and you have a beautiful shop and very nice tools.

I too like your setup of the jointer and t/s with the safety switch and I plan to do the same. Thanks again for sharing your ideas.