PDA

View Full Version : Custom shaper cutters

Jack Briggs
03-25-2008, 11:39 AM
Anyone here know of sources for custom profiled shaper cutters? I have a need for 2 or 3 simple but non-standard cutters.

Any leads appreciated.:)

David DeCristoforo
03-25-2008, 11:58 AM
Not only do these guys have the most extensive catalog of bits, cutters, etc, they will make up any profile you need in whatever form you need it. Not cheap!
http://www.nordicsaw.com/

YM

Rod Sheridan
03-25-2008, 12:16 PM
Hello Jack, you didn't state what the cutters would be used for.

If you are milling solid wood, a CMT cutterhead with HSS knives would be available in 40 and 50mm widths.

Blank knives are around $20 a pair, and could be custom profiled locally for you by a grinding shop......Rod.

Peter Quinn
03-25-2008, 12:52 PM
Yeah, lots of people selling that 40MM head, I have one from Amana works great, also a 2 knife corregated back steel option with a molding head for longer runs/deeper cuts, more complex profiles. You can get either in carbide if neccessary.

Check Molding knives.com, schmidt tool, or google molding knives. Also Wisconson Tool Works, Connecticut Saw and Tool, lots of regional shops can do that work.

If your looking for a three wing, both Freeborn and LRH do custom grinds, as does Amana tool and Infinity Tool in FLA.

Insert knives are the most flexible and cheapest in the long run, custom 3 wing makes sense if the profile is small and your running a lot of it.

Grizzly sells an aluminum molding head in 2" or 3" format, I have no experience with it but have used corregated back steel insert knives that work great.

William Addison
03-25-2008, 1:43 PM
The man you want to talk to is Steve Schermerhorn at W. Moore Profiles.
www.mooreprofiles.com (http://www.mooreprofiles.com) He'll make whatever you want and do a good job of it plus he's incredibly knowledgable and friendly.

In the long term, your best bet may be to buy a cutter head and use insert knives, he made a three tipped carbide cutter for me as well but they cost.

Joe Chritz
03-25-2008, 3:36 PM
By the time you buy three custom ground cutters you are probably into the insert tooling price range.

It would be a very strong contender in the race for me.

Joe

Jack Briggs
03-25-2008, 9:38 PM
Hello Jack, you didn't state what the cutters would be used for.

If you are milling solid wood, a CMT cutterhead with HSS knives would be available in 40 and 50mm widths.

Blank knives are around $20 a pair, and could be custom profiled locally for you by a grinding shop......Rod.

Hardwoods - mostly mahogany but some maples, etc. I need a half-round flute cutter .100" radius (.200" dia.) Same size in a bead cutter.

Peter Quinn
03-25-2008, 9:54 PM
Thats within a few thousands of 2.5MM R (5mm D), the stock 40MM sets have one cutter with a 2.5mm R bead but don't have a flute that I can see. You could fit both on one 40MM insert knife for a custom grind and definetly cut those profiles with the CMT or Amana setup.

Are you making a canoe joint, like a tambor door, or does this need to reach into another profile somehow?

Charlie Plesums
03-25-2008, 10:22 PM
I got some awesome DeHart cutters... solid carbide insert tooling. The only hard thing was that they sold their "standard" profiles as if they were custom (initial the blueprint before we send them to you). Given that approach I suspect they might also do custom cutters, in steel or carbide. call 800 438-5771 or see www.dehartusa.com (http://www.dehartusa.com)

Jack Briggs
03-26-2008, 7:42 AM
I'd prefer not to go to an insert system.

Any other sources for custom cutters that some of you guys have used before?

William Addison
03-26-2008, 9:47 AM
I have the one for cutting reeds I orderd from Steve but it cost about $230.

J.R. Rutter
03-26-2008, 9:57 AM
I've done custom brazed carbide cutters through Nordic Saw (tenon cutters) and Freeborn (shaper cutters). They both did a fine job. Both do this sort of thing all the time.

If I were getting those cutters now, I would call Byrd and have them quote on dedicated insert bodies and tips. The cut from inserts is better (different carbide, sharper edge) and you can probably get alloy inserts as well. Inserts on dedicated bodies are the ultimate for production setups: change them right on the spindle.

Steve Clardy
03-26-2008, 11:15 AM
Ballew Saw and Tool.

Ask for Fred

1-800-288-7483

Springfield, MO.

Jack Briggs
03-26-2008, 7:38 PM
Thanks, guys!