PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Chisels?

Dennis McDonaugh
03-23-2004, 10:04 AM
What's the difference between a 750 and 720 Chisel? They look the same in pictures......

Angelo Schembari
03-23-2004, 12:47 PM
The 720 is a paring chisel, while the 750 is a butt chisel. I guess a really short 720 would look like a 750. The 740 is an inbetween size. They're all junk BTW, Send any you find to me (especially 1/4" and 3/5"). I'll dispose of them properly.

Go to http://users.ev1.net/~gmuster/ and click "type studies" on the left. Scroll down and there is chisel info.

Dennis McDonaugh
03-23-2004, 1:02 PM
Thanks Angelo. Its difficult to see much difference when looking at a picture because you can't see the end or tell how much they've been sharpened to get to their current length.

Alan Turner
03-23-2004, 1:53 PM
Dennis,
I would call the 750 a bench chisel, with an overall length of about 9 1/2" or so, and the 720 is about 3" longer. I think of a butt chisel as shorter still, like the yellow handle No. 60's. I ahve no idea if my verbiage is correct.
I have cobbled together a set of 750's, mismatched, and not very special in terms of appearance, and it is interesting that the steel is different on each. The 1/2" one that I have is the best, and is my typical "go to" guy if I am just grabbing for a chisel. The 1/8" has eluded me so far, although I do have others of that size, both paring and mortise. I have seen the 1/8" 750's go for over $50 on Ebay, but I have never paid more than $15 for one, and several were $5. If I ever see them reasonably priced, I grab them and flip them to my adult ww students, and they are apreciative. They are getting a bit harder to find. One day I was buying some old tools, and the fellow had an unhandled 750, poss. a 1/2", and he just threw it into the deal for free. Then, a bit later, same guy, found some older chisel handles, and one was a 750, but too large for the one I had gotten. For that handle I had to give him $3, but he threw in 2 other no name handles, which were in fine shape, and now have homes. Look for the ones without handles as there is sometimes a bit of gold burried there.

Kurt Loup
03-23-2004, 2:33 PM
While trying to fill in a set of 750s, I have purchased a few chisels only marked: Stanley Made in USA on the socket. They seem to be the same size as the 750s and the handles are essentially the same. Anyone have any info on these or the Defiant labled socket chisels? Thanks.

Kurt

Alan Turner
03-23-2004, 2:36 PM
I can't say, but I have a few in the 720 length, without the 720 mark. These seem about the same to me, but I will be interested in the anwsers.
Alan

Angelo Schembari
03-23-2004, 6:18 PM
Alan,

You pay $15.00 each? I have never paid more then $1.00 for a 720/750...and unfortunately sold way too many on the Bay, now that these are my users. Most I got with no handles, but I've come up with my own, and now look for the unhandled version. It seems a shame to take off a perfectly good handle... It also can be adapted to a tang chisel like in the lower Buck Bros. chisel.

Robert Ducharme
03-23-2004, 6:22 PM
However, they make great screwdrivers :)

Alan Turner
03-23-2004, 7:29 PM
Angelo,
I would guess that the average price I have paid is about $10, maybe a bit less, but this is not a complaint as they are fine chisels for this kind of money. The 750 is a nice, comfortable size for everyday, non-specialized work. I must say that you are clearly a better shopper than am I. Congrats.
Alan

Angelo Schembari
03-23-2004, 8:33 PM
Angelo,
I would guess that the average price I have paid is about $10, maybe a bit less, but this is not a complaint as they are fine chisels for this kind of money. The 750 is a nice, comfortable size for everyday, non-specialized work. I must say that you are clearly a better shopper than am I. Congrats.
Alan

Alan,

I just didn't realize that there was so much variability in prices...I would gladly pay that for a 750, its about the same as a Blue Chip and a much better product! I agree that they are the right size for me . This also hasn't been shopping around, I see them, I ask how much, I pay. I guess in the New York Metro area most people don't place much value in these old things.

Kurt Loup
03-23-2004, 9:48 PM
Alan,

I just didn't realize that there was so much variability in prices...I would gladly pay that for a 750, its about the same as a Blue Chip and a much better product! I agree that they are the right size for me . This also hasn't been shopping around, I see them, I ask how much, I pay. I guess in the New York Metro area most people don't place much value in these old things.

Angelo,

I've been looking for old tools around my area for the past couple years. Over that period of time, I've found ONE chisel and I believe it is an older Craftsman. Unfortunately, I am forced to buy off ebay. I wish I had a local source for quality, older tools.

Kurt

Angelo Schembari
03-23-2004, 10:12 PM
Angelo,

I've been looking for old tools around my area for the past couple years. Over that period of time, I've found ONE chisel and I believe it is an older Craftsman. Unfortunately, I am forced to buy off ebay. I wish I had a local source for quality, older tools.

Kurt

Kurt, I guess I'm lucky here. Were done to one real flea market in the area and there is always at least 4-5 guys with tools. They don't think much of the hand tools because saws go for $1-$2, chisels as low as 25 cents, braces, pushdrills, yankee drivers are usually a buck. Planes on the other hand are rare, and usually overpriced junk. Go figure. I guess I'll count my blessings! :)

Angelo

Davy Barr
03-24-2004, 8:03 AM
Angelo,

Kurt
I'm with you, Kurt. Louisiana is not a good place to find old tools. The only find I've come up with is a 1/8" Sheffield chisel that cost me $8. I'm forced to get my stuff off the "bay" most of the time too. The other stuff I've seen is prohibitively expensive around here.

Alan Turner
03-24-2004, 2:07 PM
The Harrisburg Internation Tool Auction is in early April, in Harrisburg, Pa, and I am told that there are dealers there who sell user stuff reasonably. I found that was true at the PATINA show and auction 2 weeds ago in Md. If you were traveling anyway, . . . .