PDA

View Full Version : What size planer

Josh Rudolph
03-25-2008, 6:13 AM
Well I was previously set in buying on of the new combination machines, but talked myself out of it. The biggest selling point is space savings, and fortunately space has not become that big of an issue for me.

Currently have a 6" Rigid Jointer and 12 1/2" Dewalt lunch box planer.

So I will be going the separates route. As much as I would like a 12" jointer, they are a little out of the price range. Oliver and Grizzly are the only 10" jointers I can find. (No luck finding anything used locally) I am looking to get an 8" jointer now.

I will also be acquiring a planer. As I have quite a few boards that are 9-20" wide, I plan on making a planer sled to surface them when the time comes.

My question is...Which size planer? Do I go with the 15" or 20". I do have a few boards over 15" wide. 90% of the lumber I use, I purchase from the mill and air dry it myself. I am able to get much wider boards at much cheaper prices.

I am inclined to go with the 15" and but a Byrd shelix head on it, especially since I will be getting just an 8" jointer. However I hate to pass up on the larger capacity planer for my larger boards (to me it is just wrong to rip wide boards and rejoin :cool:).

Which route would you go and why?

Thanks for your input.

Sam Yerardi
03-25-2008, 7:29 AM
If cost is not an issue I'd go for the 20".

Mike Heidrick
03-25-2008, 7:39 AM
I am using straight blades for now on my 20" Delta. Works great. 20" planers are very big but I guess so is a 15". They are great if you have the room to dedicate to them. Buy bigger and add the Byrd Shelix latter might be a good future proof decision.

Rob Will
03-25-2008, 9:35 AM
Josh,
I would take my time and keep looking. Just as soon as you buy a smaller machine, you will find a deal on some big old iron.

Odds are you will have to do a bit of driving. I moved my bandsaw and jointer about 400 miles. My planer, sander, TS and DC came from about 250 miles away.

Watch for school auctions and don't pass up a clean PM 225 (JMHO).

If you don't have 3-phase, you might as well go ahead and put in that phase convertor. Your selection will be much greater with 3-phase.

Rob

Greg Cole
03-25-2008, 9:44 AM
Hi Josh,
The debate about jointer should be simple, err it is to me... buy the biggest one you can get. If you have to wait a wee bit for the width, you will not be complaining about it versus buying an 8" jointer and having alot of stock be too wide for the jointer. When the day comes for me to move up a step, I'll be looking at 12" at least.
For the planer, I'd go with the 20" if you can swing it & then start a rainy day fund for the Shelix (lotsa rainy days needed for the 15 & 20" size cutters).

Greg - who has a bunch of maple & walnut wider than his jointer. :o

Jim Becker
03-25-2008, 10:04 AM
Given both your choice of separates and a penchant for wide lumber, I'd suggest the 20" planer. Even without the Byrd head, you'll have enough width that you can skew material through the cut for a shearing action that will be very smooth, even on highly figured material...and if you have a two speed machine, so much the better as it will allow for a higher cut per inch in those same situations. But also try to go bigger on your jointer if you can...the same skewing technique is very handy for flattening boards and much harder to be useful on an 8" machine when you are pushing the limits of the width for what the average width of a board is in your lumber pile.

Dino Drosas
03-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Take a good look at the Northstate 20" planner. It is available with a spiral head cutter and it gives the shoothest cut I have ever seen come out of a planner (IMHO; better than the Byrd head). Weighs in at about 1000 lbs and the fit and finish is exceptional for the less than 3 grand price. The machine is made in Tiwan (not China) and is distributed by LeNeave Supply in Charlotte, NC. These people are as good as it gets when it comes to customer service. I just recently purchased a Northstate 17" open end wide belt sander from them. It is the exact same machine that Powermatic sells for over a thousand dollars more. Unbelivable machine for the price.

David DeCristoforo
03-25-2008, 12:03 PM
It doesn't matter. Whatever size you get, you will always wish you had just a bit more capacity. It's a law of nature. So get the biggest one you can afford and that you have room for.....

YM

Joe Chritz
03-25-2008, 3:43 PM
I'm with Yoshikuni.

When I had a 6" I always needed 7". Now I have an 8" and always need a 9".

I just know that whatever I get will be almost big enough many times.

I am fairly happy with a 8" jointer and 15" planer so far. If space is not a problem and you can swing to dough go for the 20" planer.

Joe

Matt Benton
03-25-2008, 4:20 PM
Buy the best 20" planer you can and build a sled for face-jointing...

Josh Rudolph
03-25-2008, 9:43 PM
Question about Planer sleds...

How many of you guys have used them? and to what success?

Pros, Cons, etc...

I am tempted to forgo the jointer purchase right now and get the 20" planer and build the current planer sled in FWW.

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesPDF.aspx?id=24118

I have a project (baby crib and changing dresser - first child :)) I am waiting to start due to the 8" wide boards I have and no great way of milling them.

I know the sled will be a little slower and more cumbersome, but it may be the best route until I can find the jointer I want/can afford.

The baby is due mid July and I can't wait any longer to get it started.

Thanks again guys for your input...

Josh

Matt Benton
03-25-2008, 10:03 PM
Here's what I did. The top and bottom are two pieces of 3/4" mdf, 54"X10" (you could probably use 1/2" thick mdf, mine is a bit heavy). I ripped 3 strips of mdf, 54"X1.5". Then simply built a torsion box with the 3 stips of mdf on edge between the top and bottom. Used glue and alot of weight on a flat surface overnight. I use screws to support the workpiece as necessary. Works great...

Josh Rudolph
03-26-2008, 3:41 PM
Well I went with the 20". I ordered the Grizzly 0454 today. I am going to wait until I can find a bigger jointer.

My current project will now require me to build the planer sled I had planned on doing later.

I am starting out with the straight blades and will upgrade as needed in the future.

Thanks for all of your input. It did weigh in on my decision process.

Josh

Rob Will
03-27-2008, 1:01 AM
Good move Josh.
You did a smart thing by buying WIDE from the very beginning.
I hope you can find a 20" jointer to go with it.
Rob

Howie French
03-27-2008, 2:05 AM
Josh - please let us know what you think of the planer. I am very interested in this planer as well.

In fact... I am interested in doing exactly what you did - 20"planer along with a planer sled, then possibly add a wide jointer later, but who knows.. I am thinking a planer sled might just eliminate the need for a wide jointer all together.

Howie

Paul Greathouse
03-27-2008, 3:55 AM
I am also trying to make the 15" or 20" decision right now. Out of curiousity how much more electricity would a single phase 5hp planer use than a single phase 3hp planer?

I probably do more planing than your average woodworker. Would the extra cost of running the bigger motor eventually add up or is it irrelevant?

Those of you that already have the large planers 15" or 20", how much material do you take off in one pass?

Josh Rudolph
03-27-2008, 6:15 AM
Paul - Not sure about how much more electricity it will use, with a planer I would imagine that to be a function of the load it is experiencing. An 18" board will cause more work for the machine as opposed to a 9", therefore there will be a spike in the current being drawn.
I think to really notice a difference you would have to run it continuous.
If I were running one continuous I would likely look at the other 20" that are considered to be a few steps up. The ones that come with a separate feed motor.

I will try and keep you guys up to date once I receive this beast.

Josh