PDA

View Full Version : IBEX Bronze Planes

Hank Eggers
03-25-2008, 1:34 AM
Hi all,

I've come across a set of 6 IBEX bronze planes all with round soles. They are similar to these from Woodcraft but all of mine have round soles. They are used for carving the soundboard of an instrument such as a violin or archtop guitar.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5808&mode=details#tabs

I'm familiar with sharpening regular planes blades but these are a bit different. Anyone here who can give some tips on sharpening these blades? Thanks!

Stephen Shepherd
03-25-2008, 7:21 AM
Hank,

I recently traded my little IBEX plane with some other stuff to get a 38" cooper's joiner plane, so thanks for the heads up I will be ordering a set at that price.

I sharpened it just like a chisel with a slight radius on the end. The little one I had had a rounded sole and the blade is camber like a small scrub plane. I got the back 'perfectly' flat then a few strokes on the bevel and it was sharp. (Alternating to remove the burr of course) then stropped on leather.

Stephen

Robert Rozaieski
03-25-2008, 8:20 AM
Hey Stephen, good to see you posting here!

Hank, I would hone them like any other convex blade from a fore plane or a gouge. Like Stephen said, polish the face, then hone the bevel like a chisel or straight blade bench plane but slowly rock the tool on the bevel to ensure even honing across the entire bevel. Take it slow and look at the edge often. You will be able to see where you have honed/polished and where the tool needs more work (especially if you hollow grind first). Finish up with a strop, using the the same rocking motion until the edge is polished and Bob's your uncle.

Hank Eggers
03-26-2008, 1:07 AM
Thanks for the tips guys.. I will give it a shot.