PDA

View Full Version : Photo album

Connie Klug
03-24-2008, 11:43 PM
Hi everyone. I don't know if you remember me but was one of the many that asked for advice about what machine to buy. Well I made the big purchase and bought an Epilog. I am very happy with it so far. I have had it for 3wks now, and I am having a great time with it. I have worked mostly with leather and wood so far. I have attached some pictures of a Photo Album that I just completed. I am sure there is a lot of room for improvement, but for the first one it will work. Let me know what you think. Hope these picture show up. (first time doing the picture thing).

Mike Null
03-25-2008, 5:50 AM
Very nice work.

Where did you get the album?

Tim Bateson
03-25-2008, 6:10 AM
Connie, The album looks great. I haven't yet used leather. I understand it smells bad when lasered. How do you get the smell out?

Luke Phillips
03-25-2008, 7:29 AM
Way to go Connie! Very nice work - looks great! You might consider using a metallic gold paint for the color inlays, the blue is a little bright??
Cheers!

Frank Corker
03-25-2008, 8:14 AM
Connie I hope you don't mind I have put your pictures up so that people don't have to download the zip file to view them.

I think that they have turned out really nice. However I agree with Luke about the blue, however that is not to say that it wasn't the owner's choice and we all know, the customer is always right. Gold I think would have worked better. I also like the colouring of the engraving, as that is known by most to be a real 'lucky dip', your's has turned out very nicely contrasted. Well done!

Belinda Barfield
03-25-2008, 8:50 AM
As the others have said, nice work Connie. I particularly like the back of the album. The blue is a little bright but I'm with Frank, the customer is always right. Keep those photos coming!

Dee Gallo
03-25-2008, 9:38 AM
Boy I wish MY first try came out that well, Connie! I burned right through to the glue... Nice work, especially the continuity of doing several sides. Did the customer provide the picture, layout and color preference? Where did you get the album?

FRANK: You are the nicest guy! Thanks for unzipping those pix - my Mac does not like them at all.

cheers, dee

Connie Klug
03-25-2008, 9:45 AM
Thanks to everyone for your response. and thank you for putting the pictures up I am not very good and the picture thing yet. As for where I got the photo album I made it. Took a 3 ring binder, took it apart, and used two pieces of leather to cover it, and then sewed up the sides. I had to use the blue that is the costumers Ranch colors. I did wipe a little dye on the leather before burning, I think it enhances the color when burned. Thanks again.

Phyllis Meyer
03-25-2008, 10:04 AM
Great Photo Albums Connie!

That's awesome that you made them yourself...just gives me an idea...not that I sew, but a really good friend does! Thanks again for posting the pictures and for Frank to re-post.

It just proves once again that we can turn on the computer, go to SMC, and a fantastic idea is born from a newcomer! This is super! Have a great day everyone!

Sincerely,
Phyllis:)

Sandra Force
03-25-2008, 1:51 PM
I love the look, did you do any conventional tooling over the engraving? I have recently seen some veining done over the engraving and it really set it off. you might try cutting through the leather and laying another color under it instead of color fill. The filigree style works well with the laser.

I have found that spraying with vinegar/water cuts the smell of burnt hide after lasering. If you spend time branding you won't mind the smell (maybe).

Connie Klug
03-26-2008, 8:53 AM
I did use a leather inlay behind it is not paint. It is called metallic blue. It is a bit hard to tell in the picture