PDA

View Full Version : Plywood or MDF

Toney Robertson
03-24-2008, 11:19 PM
I am going to be veneering some panels and in the past I have used birch plywood. Mainly because of my prejudice towards MDF which reminds me of particle board which I detest.

Is there any logical reason not to use MDF? Structural or other concerns?

Or do I need to quit living in the past and realize that MDF is just as good as plywood in this circumstance?

What really mentally complicates things for me is to see David Marks (who I really admire as a woodworker) use MDF. I about fell off my chair! LOL

Toney

David DeCristoforo
03-24-2008, 11:57 PM
MDF... heavy sheets of highly compacted sawdust and glue. Probably no "logical" reason not to use it but it can hardly be considered "fine" material regardless of who uses it. I'm very prejudiced and I'm sure many will disagree but I would not use it in favor of a good quality plywood core. On the "best" work, I make my own cores out of 1/8" layers of poplar. Just me....

YM

Alan Tolchinsky
03-25-2008, 1:03 AM
I've always read that MDF is one of the best substrates for veneering due to its smooth surface. I've done some veneering and that's all I've ever used. I've always had great results with it.

Joe Chritz
03-25-2008, 1:33 AM
MDF is great for what it is designed for. Veneer substrate is one of those things.

I have what is supposed to be good quality Baltic birch plywood that isn't as flat as MDF that I have had laying around much longer.

Remember that it doesn't have much sag resistance so that needs to be accounted for.

Joe

John Fry
03-25-2008, 1:38 AM
They both have their benefits and shortfalls in regard to structural uses and machinability.

BUT, when it comes to veneering, IMO there is no better substrate than MDF.......Bar none!

It is extremely stable, very flat, cuts and machines well, has voidless edges, does not telegraph any grain patterns, and takes glue well.

Now, that doesn't mean that I won't prefer BB ply in some situations where structural requirements are high, or even solid wood for a period reproduction, but I use MDF for most of my veneer work and I don't plan on changing......No matter how many people bad rap it.