PDA

View Full Version : Question for all you segmented experts

Robert McGowen
03-24-2008, 10:54 PM
I have seen several pieces that are solid "bowls" with a segmented rim attached. I even saw David Marks do one on Woodworks. I guess I am asking how stable that would be. It is obviously cross-grain joints at the best for part of the joints and then long-grain joints for part of it. Is it perfectly acceptable, risky and going to eventually fail, or a risk worth taking and you will probably be okay?

I guess you could have an end-grain turning and make segments with the end grain matching the top of the bowl, but that just seems kind of backwards from the way most bowls are made. :rolleyes:

I am sure that you would need perfectly dry wood to start with for minimal or no movement, but as far as the joinery goes, any answers? :):):):):):)

Brian Brown
03-24-2008, 11:55 PM
I don't know the answer to your question, I'm looking forward to someone answering it here. I've wanted to tryit, and have had the same question.

Montgomery Scott
03-25-2008, 12:49 AM
The majority of my segmented vessels have at least one piece of solid wood with segmented rings above and/or below. The only problem I've ever had is if the burl block is not dry enough, other than that no failures.

Malcolm Tibbetts
03-25-2008, 1:12 AM
Robert, you ask a very good question. From my experiences, there are many factors to consider such as wood species, wood moisture, diameter, etc. The highest chances of success would be with stable wood, small diameter, and short segments. The highest chances for failure would involve high, unmatched moisture content, large diameter, and long segments. In general, I would probably risk a 16-segment ring on a 6" diameter bowl rim and I would not trust an 8-segment ring on top of a 12" diameter bowl rim. I know this doesn't totally answer your question; the bottom line is: beware of wood movement. Design things to move together.

Jim Maxwell
03-26-2008, 7:57 AM
This one is a mallee burl bowl about 250mm diameter with a twelve segment hardwood rim. Is this the sort of thing you are referring too? This one was made some time ago. I do this regularly for the past 10 years or so, and haven't had any problems yet. The timbers often have different densities and I use a water resistant pva adhesive, similar to your Titebond 2. As has been said before, the timbers must be well seasoned.
Jim

Jim Maxwell
03-26-2008, 8:00 AM
Sorry if I appear to be thread burglaring.
Jim