PDA

View Full Version : Router Table almost complete (gloat)

Jeff Hamilton
03-23-2004, 12:24 AM
Hello all,
The table is almost complete. I'm waiting on the rubber grommlets I will be using to hold my router bits nice and tight (When I get some) router bits that is. The 4 bottom smaller drawers have a removable or replacable tray to hold my router bit collection. The 2 top drawers are for router tool storage . And of course the rings for my woodpecker insert. The 2 bottom drawers are large enough for what ever wants to jump in. Second of all I also need to either buy a fence system or build my own.
I think that for now I might have to build it.I also have to connect the table to my Dust Eliminator.

P.S.
I would like to thank all of you that have been praying for my daughter Morgan. We are not out of the water just yet. She will be having brain surgery either Friday or early next week. She is doing fine right now. Most of her symptoms are gone but the fine motor control of the right hand has not returned to norm. I will keep you all posted

Thanks again and God Bless
Jeff Hamilton

Tyler Howell
03-23-2004, 1:05 AM
Another piece of fine furniture Jeff. It belongs on display.

Frank Pellow
03-23-2004, 6:45 AM
Nice work! Except for the top, the cabinet looks a lot like one in my dining room (that, I am sorry to say) I did not make.

Dick Parr
03-23-2004, 7:11 AM
Very nice Jeff, but that's not really a router table is it? :confused: That looks like a center Island for a high priced home in an up scale neighborhood in Hollywood. :D

Nathan Hoffman
03-23-2004, 7:35 AM
That looks more like a fine cabinet than a shop piece!

What was your technique for getting the edging flush with the top surface? Is the edging just glued to the side of the top or is it attached with biscuits or tongue and groove, etc? Thanks.

Jeff Hamilton
03-23-2004, 7:46 AM
Hi Nathan
I attached the top trim with pocket screws and used a flush trim bit to make it just so. If you don't have a kregg or equivilent then you are missing out on a great tool the whole cabinet is assembled with pocket hole screws.
Jeff H.

Dave Brandt
03-23-2004, 8:21 AM
Jeff, Do you do your routing in the living room?!? Awesome. Did you use plans or is it your own design? I really like all of the storage space provided. Is the router compartment "sealed" for dust collection? This is gonna be my next project! db

P.S. Our prayers are with your family.

Jim Becker
03-23-2004, 9:06 AM
That's really a great table, Jeff. Beautiful!

John Miliunas
03-23-2004, 9:15 AM
Fer cryin' out loud, Jeff! Like some of the other guys said, that beautiful piece belongs in the living room! Gorgeous work! And, I'm still with you and your family on the prayers! Best to you all. :cool:

Kent Cori
03-23-2004, 9:56 AM
Outstanding Jeff. You really did a bang up job on this router table. It certainly looks more like fine furniture.

I'd be interested in knowing how the grommets work for holding the bits. Also, I made my fence out of MDF and some Rockler knobs and tee bolts. I cut T-slots in the rear of the sacrifical fences using a tee slot router bit and bolted them up to the main fence using two tee bolts and knobs for each fence. This lets them slide left-right as needed. I made both short and tall fences and a few extras to boot. Once the fence is a little eaten up, I just cut off an inch or so using my CMS and am back in business in the matter of minutes. I added a tee slot to the face of each fence too to mount accessories. The MDF is dirt cheap so most of the fence cost is for the tee bolts and knobs. I made an L-shaped wooden bracket for each end of the table and mouted a bolt through it. I then made some horizontal slots in the fence base and threaded the bolts through them with a knob holding each tight. I made the leg of the L about 3/16" shorter than the thickness of the table top so the brackets hold tight as I snug up the knob. It works great and is much less expensive than a commercial unit.

My prayers are with your daughter, you and the rest of your family. I'm sure the surgery will go well but it is certainly a scary situation for any parent.

Mac McAtee
03-23-2004, 11:58 AM
Very nice work there Jeff. I have to learn to go from the utilitarian approach to shop furniture to the fine shop furniture.

Steven Wilson
03-23-2004, 12:12 PM
Nice job Jeff !!

Now, to all of you say it's too nice, think of your shop cabinets as being a perfect opportunity to practice before making something for keeps. Jeff's cabinet is perfect example of a piece that can be use to learn how to make a desk, credenza, vanity cabinet, etc. Also, for you commercial guys, your shop cabinets are a useful selling tool for skills.

Mike Scoggins
03-23-2004, 1:28 PM
Really nice job Jeff! It would seem that using a router table like that would make the experience more enjoyable. There's just something about using a tool that you love, and I'm sure this one will make you proud.

I couldn't help but think of Terry H's workbench when I saw your router table. With a shop full of cabinets/benches of that caliber (i.e. the caliber you and Terry are turning out) you'd have a hard time knowing if you were in the shop or the living room. Again, great job!

I pray that God will be with your daughter Morgan, with you and your family, and with the doctors that perform the surgery. May God give you strength as you go through this difficult time. Deuteronomy 31:8

Mike

Byron Trantham
03-23-2004, 3:03 PM
Oh! I got it. This is the prototype for your Kitchen cabinets! No kidding, it is a work of art [for the shop!]. Nice job.

Daniel Rabinovitz
03-23-2004, 3:46 PM
The router table is absolutely beautiful.
But it's too nice to work with - you'll have to build another to actually use. That's all that's to it.
Are you sure that you aren't going to use it as a buffet server with wine bottles elevated through the hole in the top and a recessed ice drawer under the wine?
Just too nice.
Now folks ~ lets not start a contest as to who can construct the most beautiful machine cabinets in the world.
But it is absolutely georgeous.
Daniel :cool:

Chris Padilla
03-23-2004, 4:02 PM
Nice vanity, Jeff. Where does the sink go? :p

Jeff Hamilton
03-23-2004, 5:34 PM
Nice job Jeff !!

Now, to all of you say it's too nice, think of your shop cabinets as being a perfect opportunity to practice before making something for keeps. Jeff's cabinet is perfect example of a piece that can be use to learn how to make a desk, credenza, vanity cabinet, etc. Also, for you commercial guys, your shop cabinets are a useful selling tool for skills.

Steven,
I could not have put it in better words. I wanted to practice using face frame construction for a upcoming project for the LOML and thought what better to build than a router table. I will be using the same design idea for a future desk for both of my girls. I learned lots building this thing.
Jeff H

Brian Hale
03-23-2004, 6:29 PM
Very nice job, looks like something i'd find in an upscale furniture store!

Best wishes for your daughter. I hope all goes well and she's feeling better soon...

Brian

Chris Padilla
03-23-2004, 8:00 PM
Jeff,

I didn't notice where your switch(es) are for turning the router off and on. I'd recommend you use at least 2 3-way switches (one on the right side, probably most common one to reach for; and one in the center). On mine, I have 3 switches (1 4-way in-between 2 3-ways).

Jeff Skory
03-23-2004, 9:01 PM
Beautiful cabinet! Right now I am at the stage of trying to figure out what type of cabinet to build. I'm torn between making a nice one out of birch plywood versus one out of MDF.

After seeing yours and hearing your reasons for building such a nice one I think I will head down the path of building the nicer unit.

This looks like an upgraded version of the New Yankee table (way nicer though). Are these your own plans?

Bruce Page
03-23-2004, 9:35 PM
Jeff,

Wow! That’s some router table! Is the bottom rail on the side panels curved? I agree with you, building nice shop equipment is a great way to learn new skills and it's fun too!

I pray that all goes well with Morgan’s surgery.

Jeff Hamilton
03-23-2004, 11:58 PM
Beautiful cabinet! Right now I am at the stage of trying to figure out what type of cabinet to build. I'm torn between making a nice one out of birch plywood versus one out of MDF.

After seeing yours and hearing your reasons for building such a nice one I think I will head down the path of building the nicer unit.

This looks like an upgraded version of the New Yankee table (way nicer though). Are these your own plans?

Hi Jeff,
The plans are my very own. I'm gravity challenged so my table is 34" high
I looked up the length of the longest bit that I might use and made the bit storage drawer to fit. The opening to the router chamber is 15" wide
plenty of room to get to if needed. To be honest I got the measurements for the router and the bits and started up intellicad and built the cabinet in cad first. It makes things so much easier.

Jeff H

Jeff Hamilton
03-24-2004, 12:00 AM
Jeff,

Wow! That’s some router table! Is the bottom rail on the side panels curved? I agree with you, building nice shop equipment is a great way to learn new skills and it's fun too!

I pray that all goes well with Morgan’s surgery.

Hi Bruce,
Yes sir the rails are curved. This is my take on a semi mission style router table.
Thanks again for the prayer support
Jeff H.

Jeff Hamilton
03-24-2004, 12:07 AM
Jeff, Do you do your routing in the living room?!? Awesome. Did you use plans or is it your own design? I really like all of the storage space provided. Is the router compartment "sealed" for dust collection? This is gonna be my next project! db

P.S. Our prayers are with your family.

Hi Dave,
I will have to say that the router compartment is not sealed. I have learned that my Terry Hatfield Dust Eliminator has to have lots of air to be happy or I have 1 very loud whistle. As for the design it is my very own. I hope that 1 day I might have enough router bits to fill at least 1 drawer.

Thank you for your prayers
Jeff H

Jeff Hamilton
03-24-2004, 12:10 AM
Jeff,

I didn't notice where your switch(es) are for turning the router off and on. I'd recommend you use at least 2 3-way switches (one on the right side, probably most common one to reach for; and one in the center). On mine, I have 3 switches (1 4-way in-between 2 3-ways).

Hi Chris
I'm working on an idea of mounting the switch above the table center just behind the fence. I also like the foot pressure switch that Terry Hatfield uses.
Jeff H

Terry Hatfield
03-24-2004, 12:36 AM
j,

Well now. That looks mighty nice. You did good.

t

Jeff Hamilton
03-24-2004, 10:04 AM
j,

Well now. That looks mighty nice. You did good.

t

T,
Thanks. It means alot
J.

Terry Hatfield
03-24-2004, 10:22 AM
j,

Your welcome!!! It's good to see that I'm not the only one getting some good natured greif about the shop "furniture". :D

You should be very proud of the table. It looks fantastic and I'm sure you will enjoy using it for many years to come. Sure beats your old setup. :D

t