PDA

View Full Version : lathe duplicator for small things

Jess Wetherhold
03-24-2008, 8:44 PM
So let's say that I need to make 120 bottle stoppers in 30 days and they must be identical. I am thinking that it would benefit me to just give in and purchase a duplicator. I have never used one, have no experience with one and would really appreciate any advice that is given. I have a Jet 10 x 14 and a Jet 16 x 42. Not sure if that will factor in to any decision that I will be making but I use the larger lathe to turn most everything since the smaller one is my buffing station.
I would like something that this order can pay for and at the time have no real urge to produce anything over 12" in length.
Thanks for any advice you can give. Much appreciated.

Jess

Kenneth Hertzog
03-24-2008, 8:53 PM
Jess
I have used a duplicator for some small items
turning by hand is quicker to a certain point.
to get the finish design is where the duplicator may help.
when you start turning a certain number you will see that
the rest could be done quicker by hand.
But only if the design is simple.
Vega sells one ( just to name one) that will do what
you want to do.
Did I answer your question?

ken

Jim Becker
03-24-2008, 9:29 PM
You can likely turn them faster without the duplicator, especially since the surface that a duplicator leaves is far from "finished". You'll find that after you turn 5-10 of them, they become automatic...

Jess Wetherhold
03-24-2008, 9:47 PM
Wow, doesn't sound good at this point. I go to craft shows and some of the pen turning guys say they use them and it really speeds things up. By no means am I knocking pen turners (I have turned a few dozen) but there is less wood to turn down than a bottle stopper.
I'll look into what you said Ken and thanks.
I suppose the real need for the duplicator is if I start getting large orders like this I really would like something that would speed things up.

Pete Jordan
03-24-2008, 10:25 PM
Jess,
I would try to make a template out of cardboard or something else and then just find a way to attach it to your lathe so the measurements are close.

Jack Clay
03-24-2008, 10:40 PM
Hi Jess,
You might want to look at Penn State. They have a DVD that they will send you for free on the one they sell. I ordered there DVD and built the duplicator my self. We only turn small items and it works great for us. The Vega looked like a great tool but it is very pricey for what we do.

Rich Souchek
03-24-2008, 11:16 PM
Jess,
For small part duplicators made easy, look at the lure duplicators on the lure builders forum at striperonline.com
http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/showthread.php?t=542815
They use a particle boardoutline as a template and a real simple scraper as the cutter. So simple it makes wonderful sense.
Rich S.

Jess Wetherhold
03-25-2008, 12:12 AM
Cool. I will take a look at the links in the morning. I believe the ones I am doing will be something very similar to some that I have already done. Pretty simple but again, after a dozen I think my hands...and my mind may be numb.
Thanks again!

Jess Wetherhold
03-25-2008, 2:15 PM
The reviews on the vega look pretty good and from what I have read it would seem faster to turn these stoppers with a duplicator.
I would like more input from anyone who owns or uses a duplicator.
Thanks

paul ashman
03-25-2008, 7:24 PM
Hi,
I have one of the Penn State units, but found that I was able to do better by hand. I make small wands (6-8") and usually have to make 30-50 per order. I have my original on a post right behind my lathe so that as I look at what I am turning, my model is right in my line of sight. PM me if you are interested in a deal on a Penn State unit though.

Jess Wetherhold
07-24-2008, 1:47 AM
By hand is was...and will remain.
Thanks to all who helped me spend my money elsewhere :D