PDA

View Full Version : Floodings

Randy Moore
03-24-2008, 8:01 PM
Anyone having any trouble with unwanted water getting into their home/shop place of employment or any place you want to go?

I was in SW Missouri over the weekend to do some work/check on my house. The house is on Table Rock Lake and the water was so high that I can't remember it being that high. I read in the Springfield paper that it had been about 23 year, IIRC, since it had been that high. I wanted to go look at Beaver Lake in Arkansas but didn't have time. The lake is about 15 feet high.

I hope that everyone is safe and dry from all the flooding!

Bryan Berguson
03-24-2008, 10:16 PM
It's sad to see so many lives turned upside down. I remember damage from the flood that Hurricane Agnes left in 1972. We weren't flooded but some local towns were and that luckily is the closest I've ever been to a real flood.

About 5 years ago we had 2 inches of rain in an hour and then shortly after a measured 5 inches in 25 minutes which turned into a mini flash flood and washed driveways and a number of local roads out. It turned an always dry creek behind our house into a small river about 30 feet wide. Changed the landscape.

I sincerely hope those flooded will get a break from the weather and can get their lives back in order.

Bryan

Jeffrey Makiel
03-25-2008, 6:50 AM
Last year in the spring, the Northeast had a severe storm that dumped 6" to 7" rain in 24 hours. A lot of people's basements were flooded and damaged. The worst part was when the city's sanitary sewer water started to push back into my home.

However, when looking at the midwest on TV, I think my problems were not all that bad.

-Jeff :)

Dennis Peacock
03-25-2008, 8:57 AM
Randy,

It's not bad here at all. Some say that many places in the state will see water levels that haven't happened in almost 90 years. I'm just glad that the rain has stopped and the wind in blowing to help dry some of this water up. Be safe!!!

Matt Meiser
03-25-2008, 11:15 AM
I have a cousin in the metro St. Louis area who's house had water into the 2nd floor. For her, its not as bad as it sounds since she inherited the house from her grandparents who gutted it but never rebuilt after the last big flood. But her house is the highest in the neighborhood and everyone else had rebuilt. Luckily she hasn't started to rebuild because there is a recent proposal by a nearby golf course to buy them all out. She's been waiting to see what would happen with that since everyone would need to sell in order for the deal to go through--sounds like it might be more likely.

I couldn't believe the pictures if I-44 and 141 in St. Louis. I've gone through that intersection ever time I've been in St. Louis since its right between two of my aunts' houses. I couldn't have imagined water there like that.