PDA

View Full Version : transforming LV plane

Russ Ambrose
03-24-2008, 7:49 PM
am finally going to upgrade my plane inventory (been making do for too long with a couple not so good planes). gonna get a new block plane and a smoothing plane. i was thinking i would just get a LN low angle block plane and continue saving my pennies for a LN #4 smoothing plane....but then i came across the following at Lee Valley

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32685&cat=1,41182

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=41715&cat=1,41182

i realize that a #3 may be a little small, but i can live with that given the type of work i do. i just thought that if LV planes are that good (and this set-up can do what they say), i might get more plane for my dollar going this route.

any thoughts about LV planes in general and this set-up in particular are appreciated.

Johnny Kleso
03-24-2008, 8:23 PM
IMHO,
Block planes are not for bench work..
Putting a knob and a tote on a block plane, I just dont get it..

I just use block planes for making chamfers and such on parts and not for smoothing...

I own dozens of bench and block planes but most I have only spent $25-$60 and a select few have LN blades..

A nice block plane I will say is a must but I would never use it as a smoother unless I was building a match box or something..

Michael Faurot
03-24-2008, 8:45 PM
am finally going to upgrade my plane inventory
[...]
i realize that a #3 may be a little small, but i can live with that given the type of work i do.

I have a #3 bench plane that I make regular use of (I do a lot of small stuff), but it's not the best in the world. So I'm planing to do the same thing you're contemplating, when the tax refund comes.

i just thought that if LV planes are that good (and this set-up can do what they say), i might get more plane for my dollar going this route.

any thoughts about LV planes in general and this set-up in particular are appreciated.I've recently acquired the LV low angle bevel-up jack and it works fantastic, so I'm sold on the bevel-up concept.

The main thing, with the bevel-up planes, seems to be to have the other blades with the different bevels on them readily available so you can switch around depending on the grain you're working with. So when I get the LV low angle block, I'll also be looking to add the 38 and 50 degree blades in addition to the knob and tote.

Casey Gooding
03-24-2008, 8:50 PM
I own and use this setup. It's not perfect, but for the occasional job, it's great. The main issue is tilting the plane back, as the handle sticks out so far past the back end of the plane.
I think when they say it's the size of a #3, they are including the rear projection of the handle in that. The area of steel that touches wood is larger than a standard block plane, but a good bit smaller than any of my #3's.
I think it's a good alternative to a bevel up smoother.

Derek Cohen
03-25-2008, 5:13 AM
Russ

If your original plan was to get a smoother and a block plane, then stick to it. That is still the best choice.

Do you want a dedicated smoother for difficult grain (get the LV Bevel Up Smoother - BUS) or a general smoother that can also do duty on a shooting board (Get the LV LA Smoother). Both have in common the fact that they are a bevel up configuration. This gives you many choices, more so than a bevel down plane. That is not to say that the bevel down style is a lesser performer - many prefer this type, and LN make outstanding planes (I have the LN #4 1/2, not the #4). They are just not as versatile. This is probably more of an issue for those that want as few a planes as possbile.

The block plane? Two stand out - the LN and the LV. They are different sizes, so try both first. The LN is a better size for my hand, so I bought that. The LV was given to me. Side-by-side, the LV is the superior plane (in features and ease of use) but the LN still fits my hand better. The LV can certainly be used as a smoother, and I would go so far as to say that it is fantastic in this regard (I do have the set up as well). It has the same range of use as the other LV smoothers mentioned above. We all need a small smoother - they are important for smoothing a surface without reducing its thickness. However, I don't like having to alter the settings on planes, and I'd rather have a block plane as a block plane. On the other hand, should you want as few planes as possible, and are prepared to reset each, then it would be a good plane to get. I do not see it as an alternative to a #4 - rather as an additional choice.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Barry Nelson
03-25-2008, 5:23 AM
How is the website coming Derek?