PDA

View Full Version : North vs South Cherry?

Bob Coleman
03-24-2008, 4:38 PM
Hi All,

I just found this place, fantastic!

Anyway, I am moving to Atlanta from upstate NY in the next few months. I'm trying to decide if I should bring a truckload of cherry with me. Is there an appreciable difference between PA cherry and southern appalachian cherry?

Thanks in advance.

Lee Schierer
03-24-2008, 4:42 PM
Mostly Price! Cherry is pretty hard to come by here in North West PA. Seems the furniture and cabinet manufacturers are buying it up as fast as it comes to the mills.

Charlie Schultz
03-24-2008, 5:02 PM
Bring it down- if nothing else, I might buy some of it!

Lee Koepke
03-24-2008, 5:06 PM
yup, another willing buyer here ... HA.

Welcome to the ATL. Hope you enjoy it.

John Keeton
03-24-2008, 5:53 PM
Like most things southern, it grows slower, usually leans to the right, and the really good boards end up being hoarded as "coffin boards."

John Thompson
03-24-2008, 6:31 PM
If it is true Pennsylvania Cherry.. I migth take a little of that action if you bring it down also. The PA. cherry is getting hard to find as good walnut.. English Oak (almost impossible here in the states).. etc.

Regards and give us a PM if you do it.. or just drop by my shop and mention you are peddling Pa. Cherry off the back of your truck.. The welcome mat will be out for you. :)

Sarge..

Tim Johnson
03-24-2008, 9:46 PM
Let me start by stating that my experience is based on a relatively small samples, but having relatives in SW New York, and SW Virginia, I have been fortunate to get some cherry from both regions. IMO, the Northern cherry is more red, with more depth of color. Even after exposure to sunlight, the Southern cherry is paler, seemingly more yellow. Not alot of difference, but I wouldn't mix the two on a project unless you wanted to (dare I say it...) dye it. It may have been the trees that were sampled in each region, who knows??

Gary Hoemann
03-25-2008, 9:31 AM
Bob, I don't run across cherry very often here locally, but I've never really gone looking for it. If you decide to bring some down, throw a little extra on and I'll take it off your hands when you pass through Knoxville.