PDA

View Full Version : The Upcoming Changes to ADA

Scott Shepherd
03-24-2008, 1:55 PM
Not sure how (or why), but I ended up going through the changes to ADA sign standards some this past weekend. Not sure how many people here do ADA signs, but there are some changes that are going to impact any future signs and sign placements.

I know the future standards have been out there floating for a while and they are waiting to be approved, but once approved, it will change a lot that I have done in the past, most notably, the sign height. They are lowering all braille sign heights by about a foot if I read it correctly.

There are also some new standards on displaying non-ADA and ADA on the same sign. I think that's a pretty sweeping change that will open up the ability to design some much more appealing ADA compliant signs.

Either that or I read it all wrong, in which case.....nevermind :)

Anyone else paying any attention to the future of ADA signs out there?

Keith Outten
03-25-2008, 3:16 AM
Scott,

Based on some research I did awhile back it seems that the current draft of the ADA revision has been in draft mode for years. Nobody knows when or if they will ever actually issue another revision. Many of the changes from the draft document that sign makers are implementing today are being confused with the actual CFR in existence which is a bare bones document where ADA signs are concerned.

The draft, if it is ever approved, will make some very big changes but the question is will it ever be passed into law?

Joe Pelonio
03-25-2008, 10:02 AM
As slow as the public has been to respond to the last set of regulations, the approval of proposed changes is even slower. Trying to sort it out ahead of time is futile.

Best to wait and see what, if anything is actually passed.

Aaron Koehl
03-26-2008, 11:45 AM
Indeed, the official ADA standard hasn't changed since its initial implementation in '92.