PDA

View Full Version : First Turning

Ken Glass
03-24-2008, 1:46 PM
Turners,
Here is a picture of my first HF. Well, Actually its my first anything. I bought my new 3520B last month, and had virtually no time to use it. This is a walnut and Maple HF that is 7" tall and 7" wide. As a new wood turner, I have a lot to learn, and I am sure it shows. I had the wood scraps so I tried this first. The form is a little funky, and the sides got a little thin near the bottom, around 3/16", but I have learned much, and had fun while working on it the last few days. I threw some Johnson's paste wax on it for a quick finish. Your comments are appreciated.

curtis rosche
03-24-2008, 2:08 PM
awsome it looks good

Cyril Griesbach
03-24-2008, 2:28 PM
Well, Ken, let's look at this from the stand point of it being your first turning. WOW! That's quite an accomplishment for a first turning!! The joinery looks good and the placement of the feature ring looks good too. If your wall thickness is even close to consistant then you've done well there too.

Is there room for improvement ? Sure...there is for all of us. This one is too round in form and the base and collar a bit over done (my first thought was clunky) for most tastes but those are easily dealt with.

Be sure to keep this forever so you'll always know where you started and have it for comparrison over the years. Some day I'll get my first bowl back and you and others will be able to see a real piece of $%#@! But I was proud as can be and you can claim a lot more pride than I could.

Cyril

Paul Engle
03-24-2008, 2:29 PM
Ken looks good , I like the shape! , are you turning each ring as you glue it on? I do two at a time and leave the outter surface fat for the next ring alignment. glueing up the whole hf then turning is the hard way to go me thinks...I tried that and it was poke a hole time ......:o.

Ken Glass
03-24-2008, 2:37 PM
Paul,
I have been using my drum sander to sand the glued edge and then truing up each ring on the lathe. It takes time, but it seems to help the joints become tighter, ans the whole thing stay straighter. Thanks for your comments.

Steve Schlumpf
03-24-2008, 2:45 PM
Ken - I have to say that for a first turning this sure is nice! All your segment joints look tight, good use of color and good proportions. Forms and finishes come with doing. We are all learning and having lots of fun. Keep up the good work - looking forward to seeing more of your turnings real soon!

Ben Gastfriend
03-24-2008, 3:30 PM
I won't critique! It's amazing for your first, and segmented! Alot of us haven't even approached that field.

Joseph Peacock
03-24-2008, 4:48 PM
AWSOM FIRST!!!!! Keep it up and never give up.:cool:

Bernie Weishapl
03-24-2008, 9:35 PM
Ken for a first turning that is awesome. Well done. Keep'em coming.

Dennis Puskar
03-24-2008, 10:18 PM
Very nice for a 1st piece.

Paul Gallian
03-24-2008, 11:16 PM
This is a beauty! Good form is in the eye of beholder... Ask Vincent van Gogh and many others that dared to be different.. Wish I could do as well!

My NEW 3520B is broken -- purchased Jan. 28 and still not running.. So I am waiting and waiting and waiting.....

Tom Sherman
03-25-2008, 8:48 AM
A very nice 'first' and a segmented piece at that. Very cool.

Ken Glass
03-25-2008, 9:09 AM
Thanks for all the comments! Coming from turners here, whose work I've seen, I am flattered.
I am going to Woodcraft in two weeks, for a 2 day class in Woodridge, IL, near Downers Grove, where my brother in law lives. Carole Sloate from Wisc. is teaching the Classes. Does anyone know her? Matt, at Woodcraft, says she is amazing. I hope to learn many techniques that might help me really plunge into the vortex. even further. I have found the craft to be highly addictive, and see no end in site. I am happy, I purchased all those other tools over the years, for flat work, but I may not use many of them for anything other than turning in the future.

Dennis Peacock
03-25-2008, 9:21 AM
Dang Ken..!!!!!! Talk about walking out of the closet and into the turning world!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A segmented piece for your 1st ever turned piece?? My hat is off to you. :)

Glenn Hodges
03-25-2008, 2:25 PM
Congratulations on your first and what a first it is! I love it, man....

David Newson
03-26-2008, 9:32 AM
Just to ditto what everyone else has said its great accomplishment for your 1st turning.

David

Nothing ventured nothing gained !

Don Orr
03-26-2008, 9:54 AM
That'll do nicely, especially for your first !