PDA

View Full Version : Lighten Image

John Stephens
03-24-2008, 12:43 PM
I just burned an image on granite of a lion and it does look good, I just wanted to ask if anyone has any ideas or suggestions on how to make the image a slight bit whiter? I could of used more power but did not want to sacrafice detail, now looking at image i would of liked it to be lighter, before it is sealed is there anything you can suggest I do?

John

Dave West
03-24-2008, 12:52 PM
I put a few drops of white acrylic paint and rub it in with my fingers. If you rub long enough the paint will start to dry and it will rub off the polished (non-etched) areas. Really brightens it up. Not about sealing though.

Dave

Bill Cunningham
03-25-2008, 8:59 PM
Or, titanium white oil paint. It gives you a longer working time, a very little bit goes a long way, and being oil based, it soaks into the 'un-sealed' granite.. Once you have sealed it, acrylic may work better.

AL Ursich
03-25-2008, 9:21 PM
I believe I saw a post here a few months ago to apply a light coat of Armor All to the granite before lasering causes a lighter image.

Never tried it but it is worth a try.

AL

Jack Harper
03-25-2008, 9:42 PM
I have tried Armor-All several time but could not see any improvement at all. I commonly use Van Son printers ink to whiten.

Bill Cunningham
03-25-2008, 10:26 PM
I have had mixed results with armor all.. Although it seems to make 'marble' look whiter, but probably only because it makes the black look blacker thereby enhancing the contrast. When I put it on granite, little flaws that I would never have noticed in a million years were highlighted by the armor all soaking into the flaw or crack, and it's there forever (it's like penetrating oil).. If you add whitening, the armor all seems to make it flow (into the flaw) and highlights the flaw even more.. Marble to increase contrast, but granite is an entirely different animal..

Frank Corker
03-26-2008, 5:45 AM
The armourall is good when being used with marble but pretty ineffectual with granite. The use on granite of paint is dependent on how much of the surface has been engraved. If it is large areas, then it will be difficult for you to evenly cover the whole piece as the wiping of excess afterwards tends to remove paint from the wanted areas. It looks very good on some, awful on others, personally I avoid it like the plague.

John Stephens
03-26-2008, 12:00 PM
for your excellent advise...

John