PDA

View Full Version : Flammables Cabinet

Paul Fitzgerald
03-24-2008, 12:05 PM
I've started to amass a collection of solvents, finishes, etc. and thought it might be nice to put them in a flammables cabinet... Well, that is, until I saw the prices!

I haven't seen anything on craigslist, in the classifieds, or other similar avenues, so I started looking for alternatives. Here's one I found that looks pretty decent:

Amercan Woodworker Workshop Tip (http://www.americanwoodworker.com/userdocs/articles/200009/shopsolutions/main.html)

Has anyone here made anything like this? Or do you guys store your flammables in a "real" flammables cabinet, metal office storage cabinet, old fridge, or just on a shelf?

Paul

Ben Cadotte
03-24-2008, 1:23 PM
Was wondering about a shop made cabinet. Wondering if sandwiching a sheet of drywall would give better burn through time. 10 min is not nearly long enough in my opinion.

Tom Veatch
03-24-2008, 5:41 PM
Was wondering about a shop made cabinet. Wondering if sandwiching a sheet of drywall would give better burn through time. 10 min is not nearly long enough in my opinion.

Probably would - especially if you used type X wallboard.

From http://alsnetbiz.com/homeimprovement/drywall.html

ASTM C 36 designates two types of gypsum wallboard, regular and type X. Type X wallboard, which is typically required to achieve fire resistance ratings, is formulated by adding noncombustible fibers to the gypsum. These fibers help maintain the integrity of the core as shrinkage occurs providing greater resistance to heat transfer during fire exposure.

By ASTM definition, type X gypsum wallboard must provide: not less than a one hour fire resistance rating for 5/8" board or a 3/4 hour fire resistance rating for 1/2" board applied in a single layer, nailed on each face of load-bearing wood framing members, when tested in accordance with the requirements of ASTM E 119, Methods of Fire Test of Building Constructions and materials.

Additionally, the Gypsum Association requires 1/2" type X gypsum board to achieve a one hour fire resistance rating when applied to a floor ceiling system, as described by GA File Number FC 5410, in GA 600, the Gypsum Association Fire Resistance Design Manual.

glenn bradley
03-24-2008, 5:57 PM
Mine all set on a shelf except my shellac which lives inside my office (gets brutal hot in the summer here). I am thinking about making something like your example and maybe sandwiching the drywall as mentioned.

I do keep my containers stupidly clean and never store my brushes, etc. near the bulk materials. Like you though, I have amassed enough to where I may want to take the next step.

mike holden
03-24-2008, 7:40 PM
Glenn, you may have to do more than sandwich the gypsum board in.
"fire resistance rating for 1/2" board applied in a single layer, nailed on each face of load-bearing wood framing members"
I read that as requiring two layers separated by a 2X4 frame to create a heat break between them.
Mike

Todd Franks
03-25-2008, 8:35 AM
Paul,

I built the cabinet you refer to in the link. I couldn't bring myself to spend the bucks for an official metal flammable cabinet. I had trouble finding 1" plywood however. My local paint supply place had to order the intumescent paint for me. I have no idea on its efficacy compared to the metal ones, but then again I hope I never do find out.;)

One thing I've gotten in the habit of is dating all cans when I purchase them. Most of the stuff tends to sit beyond its shelf life before I use them all up. I periodically go through and purge expired finishes. Our county landfill has a free hazardous waste collection facility for non-commercial homeowner use. No sense in keeping expired flammables around.

David G Baker
03-25-2008, 8:51 AM
The fire resistant box can be expanded upon and made into a very fire resistant safe room using fire resistant Sheetrock and heat breaks on all of the walls. If the room or box is designed and built correctly it should protect your valuables or flammables for quite a while. I have planed on making an outdoor shed specifically designed for my flammables but have wondered about the cold temperatures here in Michigan impacting some of the products.

Jim O'Dell
03-25-2008, 11:20 AM
I've wondered how safe a reifrigerator would be. I know the rubber seals would not be much for fire, but explosion wise, would it help contain things temporarily with a hasp and lock to keep the door closed? Worth the effort to move one from the house out to the shop? I've got one that we inherited with the house that I need to do something with. Jim.

Paul Fitzgerald
03-25-2008, 2:02 PM
Wow, lots of good information here!

There was a special on the local news not too terribly long ago about flame retardant paint. (or whatever their marketing department decided to name it).

The news crew worked with one of the local fire department crews and built two stick frame rooms complete with drywall and furnishings to simulate a typical room in a home.

One of the two rooms was painted with your run-of-the-mill borg paint. The other room was painted with the flame retardant paint.

Once all setup, each room was set on fire at the same time. I was amazed at just how much longer it took the room with the flame retardant paint to succumb to the fire.

The point was... fire's bad and it will destroy everything in its path... BUT this special paint will significantly reduct the time you have to get the heck out of dodge.

So it would seem the time taken to locate flame retardant paint would be time well spent if one were to build a "flammables cabinet."

Paul

walter stellwagen
03-27-2008, 3:16 PM
Intumescent paint was origanaly made for NASA after one of the spaceships burned up
it is also used to protect metal beams from fire in buildings . My former firm did a study
of it for civilian applications . It foams up when exposed to heat. If that is what todd got
I would expect it would last longer than 10 minutes in a fire.

Walt

Jeff Wright
03-27-2008, 9:17 PM
I've wondered how safe a reifrigerator would be. I know the rubber seals would not be much for fire, but explosion wise, would it help contain things temporarily with a hasp and lock to keep the door closed? Worth the effort to move one from the house out to the shop? I've got one that we inherited with the house that I need to do something with. Jim.

Jim. Be careful! You wouldn't want to reach in that refrig and think you're grabbing a "cold one!"