PDA

View Full Version : My son seems to be a natural

Jeff Skory
03-22-2004, 9:10 PM
As some of you know I've only recently begun woodworking. My son Chris has always enjoyed building things and so he likes to tinker in the workroom as well.

The project he just completed is a small table which he plans on putting in his room mainly to put his cell phone and charger on. He kept them on the floor prior to this. (I know, I know...but what are you gonna do with a teenager) :D

Anyway, he designed and built the table with only a few suggestions on fastening the legs to the tabletop. The top is made with white oak and some other wood (??? very stinky when cut). The legs are also made with this other wood. Finish is BLO, shellac, and polyurethane.

The last picture shows that contrary to what it looks like, the table is not tippy.

Bruce Page
03-22-2004, 9:23 PM
Pretty cool! The young man definitely has talent and a good eye! I really like the shape of the legs. These teenagers can sure surprise you sometimes.

Jim Becker
03-22-2004, 9:35 PM
That's a really great design! The legs combined with the pattern on the top are outstanding. Your son apparently does have a knack for this woodworking thing. Perhaps he'll do some more pieces for his room that are complimentary in style.

Waymon Campbell
03-22-2004, 9:40 PM
Wow...What a unique and interesting piece. I bet dad is pretty proud...

Sam Chambers
03-22-2004, 10:05 PM
Jeff:

Very impressive! I really like the design and the workmanship. I just have one question...

How long did it take him to carve the cat? That's even more impressive than the table!

Todd Burch
03-22-2004, 10:37 PM
Finished project looks great! Jeff, how did he end up reinforcing the short grain near the feet of the legs? I remember the question from the design forum.

Todd

Dale Thompson
03-22-2004, 10:59 PM
Jeff,
That young man has some REAL talent. I'm sure that his dad had nothing to do with it. :) It's great to see the accomplishments of the younger generation, especially when they are so impressive!

Why doesn't the press have time to notice this kind of thing instead of all the bad? AW - just a rant from an old coot! :cool:

You have a cat too! Why is it that they have to take credit for EVERYTHING in the house or shop? I'd like to see the cat post on the quality of the table. He/She is obviously doing a thorough inspection. ;)

Dale T.

Kent Cori
03-23-2004, 10:10 AM
Your son did a great job Jeff. That table is definitely something that both he and you can be proud of.

Donnie Raines
03-23-2004, 11:28 AM
This must be in the family blood! It appears that you guys need to make everything with curves and "stuff"....

......really neat!

DonnieR

Aaron Koehl
03-23-2004, 1:46 PM
Yeah the cat-- must have gotten some pointers from Wolf!

_Aaron_

Daniel Rabinovitz
03-23-2004, 3:49 PM
The table is just terrific!
Daniel :cool:

Jeff Skory
03-23-2004, 5:13 PM
Finished project looks great! Jeff, how did he end up reinforcing the short grain near the feet of the legs? I remember the question from the design forum.

Todd

Todd, I forgot all about that. We glued the broken foot back on and then the pieces sat for a long time. When I finally got around to purchasing a bandsaw he finished cutting the other legs. We were careful not to drop any of them.

In retrospect we should have used the dowel idea you proposed. Well, if one of the feet eventually breaks we will do them all up at that point in time.

Jeff Skory
03-23-2004, 5:16 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone. And yes I am proud of him. He's quite a little engineer as well. Fun to watch him develop these skills as he grows.

Alan Turner
03-23-2004, 7:47 PM
Nice table. YOur son obviously has a good teacher. The other wood that is "stinky", might it be elm? I have used it once, on a restoration, and found it to have an unpleasant smell when cut or sanded. Sort of an oaky grain pattern, but extremely bendable, and resistant to breakage.

Todd Burch
03-23-2004, 7:58 PM
I think the stinkiest wood I've worked with is cottonwood. Gag me.

John Miliunas
03-23-2004, 11:36 PM
Jeff, please extend my compliments to Chris! Wonderful job on the table. He's got a good eye for design and looks to be a sturdy assembly, as well! Yup, he's got himself a good teacher there, too! Very nice. :cool: